Books?

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

Breathe
Registered Member

Books?

Post by Breathe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:36 am

Any book recommendation for a layperson who wants to learn how to effectively massage their own dogs? I have a friend whose dachshund has developed the typical dachsie-back, and I've suggested that she might want to try regular massage for her little gal. I know having a trained MT either do it or train her would be ideal, but in the meantime, are there any good resources? Thanks.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Many years ago, before attending massage school, I got the information for T-Touch, a form of massage for dogs, cats, horses, and other animals developed by Linda Tellington-Jones.

The different strokes/techniques are given memorable names and are demonstrated on (DVD these days but I had the VHS tape)... so that pet owners can help their own animals to become calmer and happier family members.

She still offers instructional DVDs and information on her website:
http://www.ttouch.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=87

In addition there are videos available to watch on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84tW1XjuKnk

Can't really say that it worked well for my little Ceely, she sort of reacted to it like it was a stimulant rather than something designed to calm and relax her. :lol:

But I have definitely heard of massage and exercise in warm water as being helpful to dachsies as well. I hope she finds something helpful, it's hard to watch a pet be in pain.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Books?

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Breathe wrote:I know having a trained MT either do it or train her would be ideal, but in the meantime, are there any good resources?
This is always my first suggestion, along with muscular and skeletal canine anatomy charts.

------------

I don't own any canine massage books but there are a few resources that I would recommend:

Canine Massage: A complete Reference Manual by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaigt

The Healing Touch for Dogs: The Proven Massage Program for Dogs by Michael W. Fox

The Well-Connected Dog: A Guide to Canine Acupressure by Amy Snow (or anything from the Tallgrass Animal Acupressure Institute - animalacupressure.com)

The Pet Owners Massage Guide for Dogs and Cats DVD from Bancroft School of Massage Therapy

I am not a fan of Linda Tellington-Jones/T-Touch and I don't consider her technique massage.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 am

Breathe, if you don't mind, let us know which book or resource she ends up picking up and if she found it helpful - pretty please with chocolate chip cookies on top?!?! :kiss:

Return to “Animal Therapies”