Which school should I go to ???

A special forum for those who provide massage/bodywork and related therapies to animals. Discussion, links, techniques, marketing, ability & agility issues.

Moderator: stonegirl

JessG
Fresh Hands

Which school should I go to ???

Post by JessG » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 pm

I am trying to find out which animal massage school is the best, I am thinking to attend the one in Ohio. But I know someone says about one in Ocala, FL is good school too, can anyone give me the information about this school in Ocala, FL?? Thank you !!

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:31 am

Hi..are you looking for a canine or equine massage school?

JessG
Fresh Hands

Post by JessG » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Kindred Spirits wrote:Hi..are you looking for a canine or equine massage school?
Thank you for the help, I will just look for the canine first, what do you think about the one in Ohio??

cstbrian
Registered Member

Post by cstbrian » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:12 am

There is also Bancroft School of Massage in Worcester, MA.

Just another option for you (not to confuse you more).

Brian
Brian

"Life isn't about finding yourself ... life is about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
"When we try to control that which is out of our control, we become an incredibly anxiety prone society." Dr. John Upledger

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:27 am

I think the one you're looking at in Ocala is equine only. They used to have a canine program a while back but I don't see it on their website any longer. I am not a big fan of the program in Ohio, especially if you've already been through human massage school. Since you're in NY, I would also suggest Bancroft in MA, as they are long-standing and have an excellent reputation. Bancroft is a human massage school that offers small and now recently added large animal massage programs. They also offer many other adjunct animal therapies.

JessG
Fresh Hands

Post by JessG » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:02 pm

I did looked the website you suggest me, thank you!! But it looks like we need 200 hours to complete the course, but I can't find the price on the website.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:17 am

Link to Tuition page at Bancroft. Looks to be $4750 plus an extra $125 for text books, skeletal model, and uniform.

Sheba4kk
Fresh Hands

Post by Sheba4kk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 am

I would suggest Bancroft too. Of course, I'm currently in the equine program and have graduated their small animal program. It IS more expensive, longer and a lot more hours - but those are the benefits! I looked at a lot of "schools" and some suggest bringing a stuffed animal to class or have a class that lasts only a few days. I just don't think this is the way to go. A deep understanding of anatomy/physiology is extremely important and Bancroft dedicates over 60 hours in each program to anatomy.

The other thing with Bancroft is they are working on a national certification test for equines which is coming into place this spring and the canine one coming in the fall. They are working w/ other respected colleges and practitioners. While initially this may only be a "good housekeeping seal of approval" type thing, it is the start.

Animals benefit when we take the time to really learn about them. This is just my humble opinion of course, but for me and my own horse, I wouldn't hire someone to work on her unless they had a good schooling background - and this is in any area - whether vet, chiro, saddle fitter, trainer, massage therapist etc. She's too important to me. kwim?

Good luck!!

Pearly
Fresh Hands

Post by Pearly » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:41 am

I think that are not many good massage schools - i always wanted to go for a year or to to china to learn shiatsu for a Chinese doctor - did not work out yet :(

Return to “Animal Therapies”