scheduling question for chair massage

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

peace4all
Registered Member

scheduling question for chair massage

Post by peace4all » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:57 pm

I have a couple of questions for those of you that have a regular chair massage/corporate practice.

Do you have a minimum number of hours/clients you require in order to make it worth your time to show up?
How do you handle large gaps in your schedule (say you have met the minimum number of hours, but there is a gap between appointments)?

Thank you!
Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.

~Albert Schweitzer

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: scheduling question for chair massage

Post by MarionFM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 am

A lot depends on whether you are being paid for your time, as in, the employer pays you for 4 hours to work on their staff. Or, are the staff paying individually.

Obviously, the first scenario is much better for you as the gaps are irrelevant. In the second situation, you have to decide what the minimum number of massages is that makes it worth your while. If you have a busy office practice, you will likely have less tolerance for gaps in the chair massage schedule. However, if you do not have a lot of other work, then hanging around with gaps for at least SOME work is acceptable. Take reading material and study in the gaps.

The first year I was in business, I took any chair massage event that was posted, even miles away. Now I have a thriving practice of my own and I do not travel out of town unless as a favour to a few practitioners that need help at a special event.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:32 am

We don't do "spec" chair massage

Either it is company paid or the employees sign up and pay online when reserving, with slots closing 24 hours in advance.

Sometimes we move people to minimize down time and cut the day short or start late depending on the number of takers
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

peace4all
Registered Member

Post by peace4all » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:22 am

60% of my practice is corporate chair massage. I have had the same accounts for many years, but there have been some changes. I have noticed that employers are introducing wellness programs that focus on exercise/weight loss (no big surprise here). What has happened is that with additional wellness offerings and incentives (some are cash incentives) employees that were loyal chair massage clients are using that time at lunch or break time to exercise. I have also heard from some of them that their health insurance now covers 20 massages/year; or they can get a $25 1-hour massage through their health insurance coverage. I don't wish to compete in that market--that's not the clientele I want to cultivate.
I appreciate your feedback on this subject.

~Albert Schweitzer

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:24 am

Not sure what you are wanting to discuss peace4all. Could you maybe ask a question, or give us a few promts to get discussion rolling? So far all I am getting from your post is that 60% of your practice is chair massage, the market has changed and you don't want compete with the changes. I don't see much to discuss, if you've already made that decision.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

peace4all
Registered Member

Post by peace4all » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:39 am

Hi Pueppi,
In my last post, the last sentence should have been the first sentence. I was thanking those that had provided their opinions to my first post. I see how it appeared that I was looking for more feedback or conversation, when there was really nothing more to say.

~Albert Schweitzer

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Post by MTSI » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Do you have a minimum number of hours/clients you require in order to make it worth your time to show up?

we have many members who offer chair massages and run their own business. the feedback we get is 2-3 clients per establishment. you have to set your minimum per day, and schedule your travel/commitments accordingly to meet that minimum number.

How do you handle large gaps in your schedule (say you have met the minimum number of hours, but there is a gap between appointments)?

you don't allow an opportunity for gaps by scheduling multiple massages that are nearby on a "back to back" basis. if you have a gap, use it for marketing/reaching out to more clients and booking appointments in the future
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”