Trying Out Chair Massage at a Flea Market

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

plucky
Registered Member

Trying Out Chair Massage at a Flea Market

Post by plucky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:47 am

Some friends who are vendors at a Flea Market, want me to try my luck with Chair Massage there

Any advice? And what about a waiver? Should I have people sign one? What would that look like?

Thanks so much. I've been away from massage for a while due to caring for a very sick family member.

I am excited yet a bit trepedatious about getting back to it :smt006
~Wherever you go, may you leave with a new friend~

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Trying Out Chair Massage at a Flea Market

Post by MarionFM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:11 am

The first year I did chair massage I used to go and set up at the local Farmers' Market most Saturdays. It worked for me - I had one price for walkups and a specially low rate for vendors.

I can't say I ever made a lot money but I got my name out there and refined my skills.

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I was going to charge $10.00 for 10 minutes. What do you think?

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:46 am

plucky wrote:I was going to charge $10.00 for 10 minutes. What do you think?
Way too low.

Would you charge $10 for 10 minutes to have someone come to your office/practice/studio for chair massage?
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:35 pm

It might seem too low but it is a common rate for chair massage. You can try charging more but you are an unknown quantity to them so you want people in the chair, nt looking sideways at your price.

If you get very busy, you could gradually increase your rates.

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate each and every reply. I truly do. This is sort of a depressed area east of Tampa
People go to this Flea market looking for bargains.

I had a total of 10 paying customers all weekend :( but the ones I did have were very happy and I got a few leads. One I am very excited about. Other vendors told me not to get discouraged and the Snowbirds will arrive shortly. Yay Canadians !
I charged $10.00 but did get a couple of tips

I'm going to try again next weekend. The spot costs less than $40.00 for the weekend. Everyone loved my pop-up EZup tent. I made some wild surround curtains for it and a a big banner advertising CHAIR MASSAGE.

Maybe next week I'll post a picture :D

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:01 pm

plucky wrote: Everyone loved my pop-up EZup tent. I made some wild surround curtains for it and a a big banner advertising CHAIR MASSAGE.

Maybe next week I'll post a picture :D
Yes! A picture please! :)

The good news is you at least made a little money, instead of creating a loss. Congratulations to you!

And, don't forget to give us a link for your useful pop-up tent. :grin:

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. The past 2 years have been extremely stressful
I took care of a very ill family member and it has drained me emotionally, financially and put me in a very dark place for some time

Now I must get back in the game. I do feel like I'm flailing around, but quitting is not an option.

I will take a picture of my portable this weekend and post it :smt006

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm

A couple years ago when I was out in Maui visiting family there were at least 2-3 massage therapists set up offering chair or even a few minutes of clothed table massage at the Flea Market in Kahului. They seemed to do pretty well there... and even if they weren't making a lot financially, they seemed to be having fun hanging out and enjoying themselves by interacting with other vendors & potential shoppers.

Personally I think the most important thing is to have fun! Plant a few "customers" by asking friends to pop by to see you... or get your vendor friends in your chair... if potential clients see you interacting and enjoying your work... I think they'll be more likely to give it a spin themselves.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Well done plucky! It is good to make even a small profit. I totally agree with Maestra. If you are hoping to get rich off this, it probably won't happen. But if you go in hoping to 'get back in the game', have some fun and make a little money as well, you will probably do fine.

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:43 pm

This is not the greatest picture. My cheapo phone takes pictures but can't send them anywhere.

A fellow vendor took this one. He had never used that feature before. Anyway, you will get the idea

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2dmiffd.jpg

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Pretty fancy!

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 am

I don't know about fancy but the colors, draw kids like magnets.

I made the sign to be hoisted on poles and planted in the ground. That isn't possible indoors, so until I come up with a better solution, safety pins are used

I stumbled on the fishnet fabric in a $1.00 a yard bin at Wally's World. It's funny how a thin see-through set-up gives people a sense of privacy

These pop-up tents are supposed to be easy to put up, but so far I have to enlist a fellow vendor to help.
Those youtube videos lie. :mrgreen:
Last edited by plucky on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:36 am

maestra wrote:if potential clients see you interacting and enjoying your work... I think they'll be more likely to give it a spin themselves.

So far, nearby vendors have been my best repeat customers and advertisement. Now, I'm looking for some type of profitable products to sell. Any and all suggestions.... greatly appreciated

Thanks so much for the encouragement maestra :smt006

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 am

plucky wrote:
maestra wrote:if potential clients see you interacting and enjoying your work... I think they'll be more likely to give it a spin themselves.

So far, nearby vendors have been my best repeat customers and advertisement. Now, I'm looking for some type of profitable products to sell. Any and all suggestions.... greatly appreciated

Thanks so much for the encouragement maestra :smt006
Sombra...

I purchse from Scrip or Medical Arts Press, depending on what coupon I have laying on my desk.

I like the warming, but if it's hot outside (and I assume you are outside at the flea market), you may perfer the "cooling" one.

For the market, I think I'd pick the regular tubes. Most people aren't going to want to rub it around with their fingers while walking about, so the tube would probably make it easier to spread around on themselves. Don't waste your money on the roll-on tube. It's a real pain to make it work.

What I really like about it, is that it has a long shelf life and I usually end up needing a bottle myself at some point, so it never goes to waste. ;)

But, if you aren't sure, start out with the little 2 ounce jars. They seem to be cheapest and with your mark up, may be in a better price range for your specific clientele.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:14 am

Thanks for the info pueppi. How do you decide markup?

Anthony2992
Fresh Hands

Post by Anthony2992 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am

plucky wrote:I was going to charge $10.00 for 10 minutes. What do you think?

I think it's a great idea :-) $10 sounds about right. You could also play with it. Like offer 20 mins for $10 for first time users and then lower it to 10 mins @ $10. Either way great idea!
Offering the best quality massage tables with lowest prices on the market. Free shipping on all Massage tables.
http://massagetablesnow.com

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 am

Wow, it's coming up on a year I have been working the Flea Market

The summer was hot and slow, so I took August off. Things are starting to pick up now and I do enjoy it

I am very grateful for my regulars. They keep me afloat. I have had a lot of interest in Table Shiatsu for Sciatica relief
Sombra is selling and I am looking for different inventory. Suggestions are appreciated

I'm also looking to extend the massage menu.What other modalities might people be interested in?

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”