Health/Wellness fair fee

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

peace4all
Registered Member

Health/Wellness fair fee

Post by peace4all » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 pm

I have been providing on-site chair massage as several businesses for many years. In the past, these companies put together their own health fairs. Then the event planners came on to the scene and provided this service. From what I have heard the going rate the event planners charge the company is less than what the company would pay to have their employees pull the event together. I have always participated in these events because I provide the on-site massage at their company and I feel I should have a presence there. These events are non-paying. So now, the event planner is charging a fee to the vendors to participate in the event. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I am not sure what I will do. I am already taking a day w/o pay to participate, and then on top of that there is now an additional expense. Please share you thoughts--I am listening.
Thank you!
Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.

~Albert Schweitzer

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Health/Wellness fair fee

Post by MarionFM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 am

How much business do you get from the days?

Is this going to impact your regular massages there?

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:04 am

That is pretty typical.

The company hired the event company to save money vs. doing it themselves. The event company makes up the difference from the vendors.

This is a marketing expense -- they are exposing you to interested parties. That is not free nor is it worth nothing (it may not be worth the price they are charging, but it is not $0 on either side of the equation)
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

peace4all
Registered Member

Post by peace4all » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Thank you both for responding--I apologize for taking so long to reply.

Marion: If I understand your question, participation in the health fairs does not directly translate to increased business. What it does do is allow me to meet people and give them a face to attach to the name they see in print. It also gives them an opportunity to see what a seated massage "looks like", experience a short massage and ask questions.

RelaxandRejuvenate: Great points to remember. I have been feeling squeezed lately by requests to participate at these events. I think a good part of my irritation comes from my memory of how these events (at the same companies) were run in the past. We were actually paid at some of them. This is the first experience I've had with being charged a fee to participate.
Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.

~Albert Schweitzer

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”