Office Chair Massage Business in NYC

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

Karen11975
Fresh Hands

Office Chair Massage Business in NYC

Post by Karen11975 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:14 am

I am starting a office massage business in NYC. I figured that NYC is the most stressful city in the states. I was wondering if there are any LMTs in NYC that can give me their input on how the business has been for them so I have an idea of what obstacles I would be facing? Thank you.

Karen11975
Fresh Hands

Post by Karen11975 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:29 am

It seems to me that in NYC there are no "business" that offers companies chair massage. (The lack of replies on here also confirms that .. lol) I guess I will have to be one of the few. I think in NYC, it's mostly individuals who have connections within a company and they go in to massage for holidays, birthdays or employee anniversaries. I don't want this as a part time venture. I want to develop a "wellness program" for these companies and expand their knowledge about the benefits & convenience of chair massage.

I hope that I can go out there and educate and expand the industry of office chair massage.

Also, I got my website up .. I just have to get licensed. :)

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Just have to get licensed...

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:28 pm

No easy feat if you were not trained in NY. They require 1000 hours of training

JMcColleyLMT
Registered Member

Post by JMcColleyLMT » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:56 pm

I think it would help to show the bosses the benefits of massage or what you could help bring to the business...Happier workers, stimulate brain activity, stimulate curculation, etc. You know, things that would benefit them bringing you in. Stimulate brain activity, faster more efficient work things like this.

Hope this helps, maybe this is not really what you are looking for.
~Jennifer McColleyLMT

Karen11975
Fresh Hands

Post by Karen11975 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:38 am

I am graduating from the #1 school in the country .. The Swedish Institute. I will be finishing up my 1000 hours in 15 days .. lol. I will be taking the board on Jan 26. I am all set but I just notice that there aren't too many office chair massage business in NYC.

Of course I plan to educate the bosses & the employees but since the people in NY are always "on the go" .. I have to think of something short and to the point that will catch their attention.

I guess once my business takes off ... I'll let you guys know how it works so you can provide it to future office chair massage entrepreneurs in NYC.

GeminiChild
Fresh Hands

Post by GeminiChild » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:28 pm

I think you may not have looked hard enough. There are many many practitioners out there in NYC doing chair massage, and companies that don't advertise. In fact, NYC is one of the most competitive places for that kind of work.

Companies that provide practitioners in the Manhattan area generally pay their subcontractors upwards of about $45/hr to get any good ones interested.

I would get out in the field and do some of the work ( I assume you havent because you arent licensed yet, and you wouldnt want to practice illegally) before you decide to tackle Manhattan....but thats just one guys opinion. For someone just coming out of school, and wants to go right into the business, even before you have graduated and taken the boards I question your intention in the field.

Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member

Post by Pandoras_Gift » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:38 pm

I honestly would not even approach any business until you are licensed, but I would do the prep work in the mean time. Mainly because you don't want to lose it before you even get it. And definitely count on waiting 6-8 weeks to get the info posted on the website, and for you to physically get your license in the mail. You can't practice until you have that piece of paper in your hands.

And yes, there are many out there and they were hired by word of mouth, or as independent contractors. Yes, it would be a good idea to send out a questionare to the human resource department in companies that you would be interested in working for. Find out if they already have a therapist doing chair massage, and if they don't find out if they would be willing to speak with you about it. Start out small, and you really should get your feet wet in the whole aspect before you instantly venture out on your own. A lot of places are going to want to know where you have worked beforehand. Plus, I find chair massage very tiring, and takes a toll on my hands moreso than table massage. I do a lot for promoting myself where I work and I can't stand doing it after a while. A few here and there fine... but I wouldn't depend upon it for work.
love as always,
Muriel

JMcColleyLMT
Registered Member

Post by JMcColleyLMT » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:03 am

Maybe if you can't find anything right away after you get lisenced you can see if you can set up in an airport or subway or something...I have never been to NYC but just a thought.

I have found that chair massage takes a lot more out of me than working on my table also, I like chair massage but i don't think i could base my business off of it. Especially since i love spa treatments too much!!!

~Jennifer McColleyLMT

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Re: Office Chair Massage Business in NYC

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Wed May 02, 2012 3:49 am

Almost every major spa in NYC offers chair massage services. Oasis -- which has a half dozen lcoations in the area -- even gets out of town gigs through its NYC client base.

Plus many of the major employers have wellness programs where they have subcontracted someone to come in weekly/bi-weekly/monthly.

Logistics is a major hassle. Low % of MTs live close to the clients, so that means taking your chair on the subway or on a pricey cab ride.

We have been doing direct mail and email marketing campaigns to key HR managers at the top 20 law and accounting firms for 3 years with very little interest/response -- even for Admin Staff Appreciation week.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”