No Out Call Massage - Seated/Corp. Included

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

RodneyBM
Fresh Hands

No Out Call Massage - Seated/Corp. Included

Post by RodneyBM » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm just out of massage therapy school after a year and wanted to start doing corporate or chair massages in the city I live in.
Only problem the city of ordinance states that outcall massage (which includes chair) is prohibited, unless there is proof the client can not get to my massage location, do to physical handicaps or illness.
I contacted the city and the person I spoke with said, they would love to even have me come in, but unless the ordinance was
changed, it wasn't allowed.
I'm planning on going in Monday to go before city council, to get this changed. Anyone have any good suggestions,
ideas, etc...
I figured, why not dive into the deep in head first.
"Restoring Life's Balance Through Massage"

Pete
Retired Site Admin

Re: No Out Call Massage - Seated/Corp. Included

Post by Pete » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 am

Generally the restrictions against "outcall" massage are to discourage prostitution - perhaps you can get the city to make an exception for "modalities performed with the client fully clothed" or for "massage performed in a workplace or public environment (malls, farmer's markets, etc.)

Of course, the best outcome would be for them to drop the outcall restriction entirely.

Good luck!

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

We still see quite a bit of this -- often in CA, but also in VA and MA. Pete is right, the laws were written when "massage parlors" were the norm.

We were able to change the law in Alexandria VA, but our arguements may not be as compelling in OK. We told the Mayor that by not allowing in-hotel room massage, guests would stay in neighboring cities where their was no restrictions. This means less tax revenue for the city. That got their attention.

If OK charges sales tax on services, that might be your attention getter, or if your business tax is based on your total revenue.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

RodneyBM
Fresh Hands

Post by RodneyBM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for the input. We were suppose to go in front of city council tonight, but we didn't get on the agenda until the next meeting in two weeks. Good for us, because I've spoke with several of the council members and it looks pretty positive. I have numerous companies going to bat fo :undecided: r us and even the chamber behind us.
It would be nice to have the whole outcall dropped, but I'd be happy with the seated added at this time.
I'll keep everyone updated and what all I learn.
"Restoring Life's Balance Through Massage"

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”