Question about liability

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Question about liability

Post by TouchofGrace » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am

My son and I were planning on offering chair massage for employees at our local businesses. Their first question is 'for free'? I say yes, but we will accept tips if someone wants to donate. We are being turned down left and right because of potential problems it could cause them. Is it because they will have liability if they pay us for the service or could they still be held liable even if it is totally free? I really hate that people have become so sue-happy that it hinders us being able to offer a little harmless relaxation. :undecided:
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength

Talenyn
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Question about liability

Post by Talenyn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:12 am

The liability I understand would be yours, not the business, which is why we carry insurance. That's always been my understanding. I'm curious on other's take.
The Other Side of the Sun - Earth's Treasures Brought to Light - www.tosots.com

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Post by TouchofGrace » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:33 am

Talenyn wrote:The liability I understand would be yours, not the business, which is why we carry insurance. That's always been my understanding. I'm curious on other's take.
That was my understanding too but when I moved into this building, even though my Massage LIability Insurance would cover anyone coming to see me (even if they fell out of the car on the way in), it doesn't cover someone falling on the property after hours (such as a kid falling while playing on the ramp outside). I had to get additional insurance for that. I am wondering if that is what they are worried about?
~Sandra

Pete
Retired Site Admin

Post by Pete » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:35 am

Actually, I think what they're worried about is IF you were to injure one of their employees, since the injury occurred in the workplace, it would be a worker's comp case.

Did you let them know that you carry professional liability insurance?

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Post by TouchofGrace » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:40 am

Yes, but this IS Louisiana and no one trusts that anything is fool-proof. We have the reputation for being a sue-happy state, because we are... :(
~Sandra

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”