Chair massage rent?

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

Chair massage rent?

Postby Elliemare on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

I'm looking into approaching a local coffee shop about doing regular on-going chair massage one day a week for a few hours a day. I'm hoping that this will be a money making opportunity as I know chair massage rarely generates a whole lot of table massage business. I'm planning to charge $1 per minute, which is the going rate around here.

My question is what type of arrangement should I have with the coffee shop? Pay them a flat rate of rent for a small corner to set up in for a few hours, or could we do a commission, giving them a cut of the day's profits? Or should I try bartering with them?

Any ideas?
Elliemare
Registered Member

Re: Chair massage rent?

Postby shivashiva on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 pm

It probably depends on your area and what the norm is, or what others have done. But they may just see it as a benefit for their guests and be happy that you're offering to be there. You probably will want to make the massage look enticing by having someone in your chair once in a while, so if it were me I may mention to them that I'd do little mini sessions on the people who work there. A chair with someone in it makes your services look much more desirable. But I don't think I'd offer a formal barter or commission. If they wanted something like that I might consider it, it if turns out to be a busy and profitable experience.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:41 am

shivashiva wrote:It probably depends on your area and what the norm is, or what others have done.

The norm in your area is probably also massage therapists struggling to survive charging $1 an hour and paying some sort of rent/commission.

Don't be a follower, be a leader.

If you think there is money to be made in coffee shop chair massage, then MAKE MONEY. Charge $15 for 10 mins, $20 for 15 mins, etc. Don't pay the coffee shop a dime -- you are giving them an amenity that draws people in, gets them to stay longer and gets them to come back (all are maybes, but it does not cost them a dime)

If someone complains about the price, tell them you are worth the extra $ then set about proving it.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:36 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:
shivashiva wrote:It probably depends on your area and what the norm is, or what others have done.

The norm in your area is probably also massage therapists struggling to survive charging $1 an hour and paying some sort of rent/commission.

Don't be a follower, be a leader.

If you think there is money to be made in coffee shop chair massage, then MAKE MONEY. Charge $15 for 10 mins, $20 for 15 mins, etc. Don't pay the coffee shop a dime -- you are giving them an amenity that draws people in, gets them to stay longer and gets them to come back (all are maybes, but it does not cost them a dime)

If someone complains about the price, tell them you are worth the extra $ then set about proving it.

I am going to agree with R&R on this one. I did a marketing event one time for Origins in Macy's offering chair massages to help boost sales. Silly me though it would be great to get my name out there. Here I am doing free work to boost their sale while the girls working the counter are making a commission off of products they are selling. That is something I will never ever do again without getting paid!
JLWmassage

Return to Chair and Corporate Massage