i'm so sad & stinky...

We have grown with the industry and found we need a forum just for products on the market, places to find them and discussions regarding these items. Please be aware that discussing products or companies should be done with respect and an offer of positive knowledge for all board members.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member

Post by Pandoras_Gift » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:10 pm

You just need a little, like 1/2 a cup. Yes, my basement stunk of it while it was being washed, but it faded quickly, and you couldn't smell it on the sheets after... Lestoil, not Pinesol... Pinesol may have a very different effect!
love as always,
Muriel

Blisss
Registered Member

Post by Blisss » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Rose of Sharon wrote:Where do you get the Country Save laundry detergent? What all is in it? I am assuming it is organic? I have chemical sensitivities and am looking for a good alternative to Arm & Hammer Free, but what is in the health food store is very cost prohibitive - and not very effective. :(
I use Bio-Pac, which I buy at the health food store. It's expensive, but it's so concentrated that I get far more loads per bottle than with conventional detergent. I have a front-loading washer & only use 1/8 cup per load. For top-loaders, only 1/4 cup is needed. Something to consider, when comparing prices.

terab
Registered Member

Post by terab » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:10 pm

ok so here is my update of my stinky situation. i used the vinegar on about 6 sheets that were smelly. so, i soaked them in the washer but silly me forgot about them & left them in there for 2 days. yikes... ( i usually go to the laundromat to do sheets but because i wanted to soak them, i did them at home.) soooooo i had a whole new issue. there was now rust on my sheets. i guess from sitting in the washer (with it full of vinegar & water) for too long. so then i'm thinking great! what the heck do i do now. so i go to the store and purchase a rust remover that can actually be used on laundry. it worked! hooray~

so as i was shopping for the rust remover i found a product that i purchased and tried and it worked really, really fantastic on the rest of my sheets. it's 20 Mule Team® Borax! it's an awesome laundry booster (as well as a household cleaner- they say it's very versatile).

the other great thing was that it was only $2.69 for a pretty big box. it really worked great and i'm going to start adding this in with my tide for every washing.

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm glad you got them taken care of! I have heard Borax is great - it is an old fashioned remedy, so I'm not surprised that it's good. I keep forgetting to check it out - I have to be sure I'm not allergic. What exactly *is* borax, anyway?
Sharon

terab
Registered Member

Post by terab » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:53 pm

20 Mule Team® Borax is made of 100% Borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. 20 Mule Team® Borax is not harmful to washing machines, plumbing or septic tanks and does not contain phosphates or chlorine.

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:58 pm

terab wrote:20 Mule Team® Borax is made of 100% Borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. 20 Mule Team® Borax is not harmful to washing machines, plumbing or septic tanks and does not contain phosphates or chlorine.
Wow, I am not allergic to any of those! Thank you! Maybe I will remember to grab a box of it, this weekend!
Sharon

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:17 am

*hehe* I have a copy of an old photograph of the real Borax 20 Mule Team, in a frame on my wall. A friend found it in her grandmother's things and I took it to a professional reproducer and had the copy made.

It's been a while since I've used the product, but I think I may have to buy a box too! :)

My picture isn't from inside a city like this one, but here's a good look.

Yeah, yeah - wayyyyyy off topic, but I couldn't resist!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

wellnessgarden
Registered Member

Post by wellnessgarden » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am

Excellent, the vinegar did a great job. I've tried many things, I'll try the Borax too. I think my mother used that when I was a kid. I know I remember the commercials...Thanks all, always great tips

wellnessgarden
www.beverlylintonmassage.com

Be Impeccable with Your Word~Don't Take Anything Personally~Don't Make Assumptions~Always Do Your Best....."The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz

terab
Registered Member

Post by terab » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:04 pm

btw, i found my borax at k-mart. in case anyone may be out and looking. i did not see it at target for those who might check there.

StressSolutions

Post by StressSolutions » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:50 am

Borax is great because it helps to soften the water for those of us that don't have a water softener. It will help your dishwashing suds last longer too. A good grocery store should have it, so no special trip required.

Great pic of the mule team...thanks!

fudja / aka Greatlakes
Registered Member

Post by fudja / aka Greatlakes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 am

Heck, its even in some bath products like bath bombs. So in smaller quantities its gentle on the skin too.

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:24 am

And may I point out -- Country Save has borax in it . . .
-Beccy

Spalicious
Fresh Hands

Re: i'm so sad & stinky...

Post by Spalicious » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 pm

I know I'm coming into this discussion late, but after a year of struggling with rancid massage sheets, I think I have found a solution.

Let me first say that I own two small spas, and rancid massage oil/lotion is a perennial problem. It got so bad that I was spraying the sheets with eucalyptus oil to hide the smell, until the client is face down and their sinuses fill up so they can's smell anything. The sheets felt slightly oily and was appreciably heavier.

Please know that I am a clean and conscientious owner, and never let the sheets remain unwashed more than 24 hours. I have switched to massage oils and lotions that are water dispersible, but have found no appreciable difference in the rancidity problem. I still use the water dispersible versions, despite the added cost, since I figured it can't hurt and can only help.

I have approached the issue using a pseudo-scientific method, and trolled the internet for effective and cost effective answers to rancidity.

I have tried spa-targeted detergents from all the major brands, but found them mediocre in attacking the problem. They work, to a certain extent, but are so cost prohibitive that I eventually threw out an entire set of sheets (ouch) and bought a whole new set, about 50 sets. After two weeks, the rancidity started again.

Here are the more orthodox products/methods I have tried:

1. Boiling sheets with detergent. Result: Works OK, but for heaven's sake, after I had four cauldrons going, this is not a viable solution. Plus, my gas bill went up immensely.
2. Washed sheets in my own washer, stain-wash setting, about a three hour cycle. Again, this proved to be a temporary solution. Bringing 40 sets of sheets home a week is simply not a viable solution.
3. Added vinegar to the wash. Result: My sheets smelled like a spoiled salad dressing.
4. Added ammonia. Result: My sheets smelled like Windex. And spoiled oil.
5. Added dishwasher detergent, like Calgon. The idea is that dishwasher detergents have grease cutting enzymes designed to remove food based oil. No appreciable difference.
6. Washed a set in my dishwasher. OK, the idea was to get a high water temperature, which would supposedly wash away the grease. My dishwasher wound up smelling like rancid oil, just like the sheets.
7. Added degreasers to the wash. Examples: Simple Green, Citrus products (used in the restaurant industry), Purple degreaser (automotive industry), Lestoil, Greased Lightning, Zep Degreaser. Results: frustratingly mediocre, even after an overnight soak in my bathtub.
8. Used grated laundry bar soaps, like Zote, like those recommended in some posts. I sat patiently and grated three bars of Zote and Fels Naphta. Alas, rancid oil wins.
9. Added Dawn dishwashing detergent. Result: my laundromat threatened to ban me from their establishment, as I created a waterfall of cascading bubbles that took an hour to mop up. I helped them.

Some crazy products/methods I have tried:

1. Added carpet cleaner to the wash. Result: Not bad, but after three washes without it, the rancid oil returned.
2. Added septic tank cleaner to the wash. Let me explain. I was perusing the detergent aisle of my supermarket and ran across a septic tank cleaner. The box screamed that it would get rid of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. OK, I know it was crazy, but what if it worked?! Result: Nada. Plus it took three washes to get rid of the brown residue left behind.
3. Added lipase to the wash. My pharmacist suggested this. Lipase is an enzyme that "eats" fats, which is what massage oil and lotion is, in essence. The lipase was ridiculously expense, and comes in capsule form. Result: Nothing.
4. Added Coca Cola to the wash. I read about this on some blog, who praised Coke with its grease cutting powers. Result: Nothing. Apparently the show Myth Busters busted this myth. Win for their show, Lose for me.
5. Added floor cleaners like Mr. Clean, Fabuloso, Lysol, etc. Result: Rancid oil, wearing a heavy perfume.
6. Added Murphy's OIl Soap. Result: Rancil oil wearing citronella fragrance oil.
7. Added more oil. A chemist friend told me that if I added a "good" oil to the wash, the "bad" rancid oil would attach itself to the "good" oil and wash away. Result: The "good" oil decided to stay with the "bad" oil in the sheets, which were now appreciably heavier. Aargh!
8. Added acetone to the wash. An entire can from a hardware store. How on earth did I come up with this crazy idea? I googled "solvents for food oils" and the results showed turpentine, gasoline and acetone. To prove this, I poured some acetone into a glass and added three pumps of oil into it. I swirled the mixture around and the oil was dispersed into the acetone. I added some detergent, and voila! The oil was gone! I selfishly decided to perform the experiment on my local laundromat, hoping the acetone did not melt some tubes. Result: Nothing. Rancid oil still there. As of today, three months later, the machine used for the experiment is still working. Please, don't judge me too harshly. I was desperate. Anyway, they should be glad I didn't use gasoline or turpentine.

BTW, I did use a miracle product called Oil Be Gone, which is available in a spa distributor, but it costs $35 a bottle, and costs $15 to ship. I wept each time I put three scoops into the wash. It really works, but it costs too much for it to be a realistic solution.

One day, I spotted a stain on a pillow case and a fellow launderer offered me some Resolve stain remover. He accidentally poured half a bottle into my laundry cart, soaking one loads! He apologized, but I told him it was OK, since my sheets were white and a cotton/poly blend. I washed the load with the Resolve in it. When the wash was finished, I realized, to my amazement, that Resolve had improved the look, feel and smell of the sheets. The sheets felt lighter, and the rancid smell was barely there! I rushed immediately to the closest supermarket and bought four bottles Resolve. I put an entire bottle in each load. NO MORE RANCID OIL.

The following week, I laundered the sheets in Tide. I began to notice my nemesis rearing its rancid little head. Back to Resolve! Rancid oil battle won.

Had I won the war? Is my enemy finally routed? Apparently not. The moment I stop using Resolve, the rancidity returned. I asked my chemist friend what he thought was going on. His answer: rancid oil is basically oxidized oil, and can "infect" other oil molecules. Perhaps REsolve removed enough rancid oil, but may have traces of it left in the sheets. I asked him if the rancid oil was itself the cause of the smell, or it some odor molecules broke away and stayed behind? His practical reply: it doesn't matter. I had to address both the oil AND the smell, whatever the cause, or the mechanism.

So I found a laundry odor remover. It's a white powder in a bucket. Very expensive, so I had to find an alternative. Luckily, Febreeze came out with a liquid laundry smell remover. The Tide came with a Febreeze-added version.

So, my formula: Resolve in the prewash cycle, Resolve and Tide with Febreeze in the wash cycle, Febreeze for laundry odor in the rinse cycle. Hottest cycle possible, which, in my local laundromat, is tepid.

Do I sound like a rep for these three brands? First, I chose Resolve because it is the cheapest of all the laundry stain removers. I chose Tide because I find it works the best, after trying everything else, including those in discount stores. And Febreeze? It's way cheaper than other odor removers, and is more effective than the generic versions.

So, did I win the war? Not exactly. The other day, I found a set of sheets that was tucked away on the bottom shelf of a cabinet. I suspect it had been there for a few weeks, even though i ask everybody to make sure that the sheets are used in a "first in, last one" procedure. To my horror, it smelled slightly rancid. Nowhere near what they used to smell like, but I contained it like it was radioactive so it wouldn't "infect" the other sheets and brought it home where I could soak it overnight in boiling water and, you guessed it, Resolve.

I am grateful to say that my business is good enough that I have so many sheets to wash, but I am glad to finally resolve the issue (pun intended).

I wish that I had a better solution to my rancidity problem other than mass produced, non-green products, but for the moment, my sheets smell delicious and feel light an fluffy. If I had my druthers, I really wish that the septic tank cleaner worked. It would have made a better ending to this rancid story.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am

Spalicious wrote: I have switched to massage oils and lotions that are water dispersible, but have found no appreciable difference in the rancidity problem.
Wow! Thank you for detailing your story! I know it will help others. :)

I know it is more expensive, but have you considered switching to Jojoba Oil? Jojoba oil is technically not an oil but instead is a liquid wax. I use Natural Formulations Golden Jojoba with excellent results. Also, someone mentioned using Jojoba in this thread on the first page, so it may also be an option. I figure if you calculate the amount of money you are putting into Resolve, might well equal out to just purchasing a high grade lubricant. It may be a possibility if you haven't tried it yet.

I also wonder if some of these issues have to do with the hardness or softness of the water we wash with. Just thought about that while reading your post.

And, welcome to the forums! Please post often! It sounds like you have lots to offer. :)

Here are a few other related threads that may be useful:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

Spalicious
Fresh Hands

Post by Spalicious » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am

Thank you for the reply. I was so grateful that it was read and might prove useful to others or, at the very least, amusing in a schadenfreude kind of way.

The lotions and oils I use are the ones recommended by my supplier, which is the largest in the country. They are pretty much up there in price, so I was under the impression that it would work the best for me and my business.

However, I will switch to Jojoba oil and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation; it will not fall on deaf ears. As you can probably tell, I cannot bear to leave any stone unturned. As for hard/soft water, yes, I suspect our water is very hard, and does not help detergents do their job well. Also, my closest laundromat does not keep the water nearly hot enough. I read a string on this site (can't seem to locate it) where a man talked at length about 140 degree temperature or higher being the best to "pull" oil from fabric fibers, since heat opens the fibers. I find this to be true, since a laundromat two blocks further keeps their temperatures very high, and I notice a better result in oil reduction. But hauling five giant bags of laundry into a car and driving to this is difficult for a harassed business owner/massage therapist, so I had to keep coming up with solutions that was efficient, cost effective, and easy.

One post talked about a Myo-ther Nzyme product, which I believe is from Canada. Since all other enzyme detergents still did not perform anywhere nearly as well as Resolve, I am reluctant to try yet another product. But if anyone out there has tried this product, I'm happy to give it a try. Here we go again; weighing options over and over, looking at the price of shipping, which is enormous nowadays...

Again, thanks for taking the time to read my really long post. I wish all of us peace, love and happiness. And freedom from rancidity! LOL.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Spalicious wrote:... I will switch to Jojoba oil and see how it goes.
Hi Spalicious,

Can you let us know how the transition went, or if you are still having issues?

Thanks in advance. :smt006

ThaiKosai
Fresh Hands

Post by ThaiKosai » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 am

We are about to switch from grapeseed to jojoba carrier oil, so will report back laundry results! Feel like we're running a launderette sometimes :)

Return to “Tools of the Trade”