Massage Creme help! (no nut oils)

We have grown with the industry and found we need a forum just for products on the market, places to find them and discussions regarding these items. Please be aware that discussing products or companies should be done with respect and an offer of positive knowledge for all board members.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Breathe
Registered Member

Massage Creme help! (no nut oils)

Post by Breathe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:17 am

I just put this in another thread, but it probably belongs on it's own.

I don't use massage creme very often, I use jojoba oil almost exclusively, and handmade salves as needed for certain kinds of spot work. But I do use creme for a carpal tunnel/forearm maintenance routine I do with several regulars, and the brand I used for ages disappeared. I'm on the hunt for a new brand.

I need suggestions for a creme that's made without any nut oils, no fragrance, and no parabens? I don't care if it has a shorter shelf life.

I've had a "nut-oil-free-zone" for years, but am currently using a coconut oil based creme, and feel the need to ask everybody about allergies, although I know coconut is one of the rarer ones. It's a decent creme, but I've noticed sheet staining and some odor issues creeping up since I've started using this product.

I started reading the "ingredients" thread, but some of those posts are really old, and I'm worried about formulas having been changed in the interim.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Massage Creme help! (no nut oils)

Post by pueppi » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:13 pm

I think Natural Formulations may be a good place to start. They have gone paraben free. Here is a link to their crème page.

I think you can order samples from them. And, they are pretty quick to respond to questions. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:14 am

I use Soothing Touch Balancing Cream. It has sweet almond extract https://www.soothingtouch.com/ProductDe ... cing+Cream

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:55 am

Pueppi: looks like the MC-5 might work.

JLW: Soothing touch lotion (the standard one I think,) is one of the ones I've never been able to use. There's an ingredient in it that smells to me like discarded banana peel, and I tend to have an odd reaction to it that could very well be psychosomatic. BUT... the Versa Creme unscented looks like it might be worth trying!

I have quite a laundry list of "No!" ingredients for myself. And a few more beyond that which I try to keep out of the space for the sake of clients. As a life-long migraineur, I'm very sensitive to scents, even quite a few natural ones, so all of my standard issue products are fragrance-free/unscented. And as a kid I was really prone to hives from topicals. My salves are the purest I can find, usually either made by myself, or purchased from farmer's markets after trying them on my own skin and living with whatever scents (from EOs or extracts) for several hours at minimum. In spite of precautions, I end up with a lot of cremes and salves in my discard pile.

In my sessions, if I'm going to use a salve, I always ask the client to smell it first and tell me if they think it will be okay.

This makes it sometimes difficult for me to get a massage from somebody new without doing research. (Vacation spas tend to be a particular no-no.)

My short list of "no" ingredients (for myself) is thus:

No almond oil
No Biotone products except advanced therapy creme (I get acne cysts from most BT lotions and gels)
NO LAVENDER.
No "sweet" EO/fragranced lotions or oils - like ylang ylang, or various other "tropical" or "fruit" scents

My "dream" creme would be something like this:

No almond, coconut, macadamia, kukui, peanut etc oils
but WITH arnica extract, and st john's wort extract.

It would be thick enough to not be able to use with a pump.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:22 am

Breathe,

I sent the guys at Natural Formulations your "dream creme" ingredient list.
My "dream" creme would be something like this:

No almond, coconut, macadamia, kukui, peanut etc oils
but WITH arnica extract, and st john's wort extract.

It would be thick enough to not be able to use with a pump.
Hoping they will respond to you or this thread. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:50 am

FollowTheTao
Fresh Hands

Post by FollowTheTao » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:27 am

Breathe, what do you thicken your salve with? beeswax? Shea? Is shea considered in the "nut" category? Do you worry about vegans and beeswax?

Sorry, stumbled upon this when looking to try a new creme as well. What did you end up finding and liking? I am also sensitive to smells and find some of the "unscented" ones to be quite strong in chemical smell.

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Still haven't found one I really like. I compromise with an organic coconut cream, and an olive oil and beeswax salve. Between the 2 most needs are covered adequately. I'm still hunting though.

FollowTheTao
Fresh Hands

Post by FollowTheTao » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:15 am

Thanks for letting me know! Maybe I'll give jojoba a try, everyone seems to rave about it. I make salve with beeswax and olive oil too. I know some people use cocoa or shea butter along with it or make a whipped version. Thanks for your response.

Return to “Tools of the Trade”