What to use to clean vinyl on massage chair

We have grown with the industry and found we need a forum just for products on the market, places to find them and discussions regarding these items. Please be aware that discussing products or companies should be done with respect and an offer of positive knowledge for all board members.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

plucky
Registered Member

What to use to clean vinyl on massage chair

Post by plucky » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 pm

My massage chair has been stored in its case, in a closet for some time

I took it out and the vinyl is sticky. I've read this is common with vinyl.

Any suggestions on what I can clean it with? It's a Stronglite.
~Wherever you go, may you leave with a new friend~

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: What to use to clean vinyl on massage chair

Post by pueppi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:27 pm

My Stronglite has never been "Sticky". That seems odd. Do they have different vinyl fabrics they use for their chairs? If so, this is a good opportunity to give people fair warning of which type *not* to purchase on their chair.

Anyhoo, having never had this problem, I can't seem to help much. Maybe soap and water?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 am

I have a Stronglite chair and it has never happened to me in 8 years. First I would contact Stronglite and see what they suggest.

Here are two links about cleaning vinyl that has become tacky to the touch. It appears that this part of the degrading process so if worst comes to worst, you might need to order a new set of cushions from Stronglite which I think costs about $200.00.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf85572204.tip.html

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-r ... cci-purse/

Let us know how you get on.

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did contact Stronglite and they said use baby soap or simple green. Clearly, I am not the first person to inquire

In my google search, I found some nightmare stories about the vinyl degrading, peeling off and warranties not being honored, so no way would I order another set from them. If I can't make the sticky go away, I will recover it myself

My table had been stored away too but that is thankfully in new condition. It's a Pisces table and I can sure see the difference in the material

It's just so weird that it is sticky everywhere..the edges and underneath.Every inch of fabric is affected

So far I have tried some of the suggestions from those links on the underside of the pieces with a little progress from baking soda

Right now I am testing my 3rd degreaser

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I am feeling very fortunate tonight as I have found a solution that works

I have been searching and experimenting all day and finally tried something I found under my sink called Mean Green Cleaner and Degreaser. My chair looks great :D

I am not exaggerating when I tell you, it seemed hopeless. The material was so sticky that it left a sticky film on my hands that would not come off with soap and water. I had to use some stuff made for auto mechanics. It worked on my hands but not the vinyl

Edit to answer a question- "Do they have different vinyl fabrics they use for their chairs? If so, this is a good opportunity to give people fair warning of which type *not* to purchase on their chair"--As far as I know the answer is no. I bought the most expensive chair they had. It was actually my second choice. I had purchased the Pisces chair and returned it after 2 weeks. The concept was cool but I just didn't care for it. love their table though

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 am

plucky, may I ask what year your purchased it in?

When I have time, I'll try to poke around an old thread we have here about Stronglite. It seems like a few years ago we had someone else complaining about their products and how they had been ferreted out to manufuacturing in China (thinking off the top of my head, so I could be wrong on that).

I purchased mine (the ErgoPro in the metal version {not the wooden one})in 1998 or 1999. Nowdays I only pull it out about once or twice a year (never any sitickiness like you observed with yours).

How about you, MarionFM (when did you get yours)?
Last edited by pueppi on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

plucky
Registered Member

Post by plucky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:03 am

Behind the chest board there is a sticker signed by the person who assembled the chair and
it also says Cottage Grove, OR and dated 1/04/01 #21

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:00 am

Here's the link about the "outsourcing" that I recalled, FWIW. I can only assume that your's is not one of them, but it may be useful for future reference, if someone comes across this thread.

http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... te#p136124
Last edited by pueppi on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am

I got mine in 2005 and I have bought a second one of the same vintage. I think they had some mechanical problems with some later models.

I have had very few problems with my vinyl although I have replaced the face cradle and am planning to replace the cushions shortly. I use mine very steadily every week so I can't complain.

They used to be manufactured in the USA but when they moved the process to China, the cost dropped by about 50% - I believe from over $1200 down to around $600. Like everything else that is manufactured, I suppose. Do you want jobs, or lower prices?

Return to “Tools of the Trade”