Gloves?

We have grown with the industry and found we need a forum just for products on the market, places to find them and discussions regarding these items. Please be aware that discussing products or companies should be done with respect and an offer of positive knowledge for all board members.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

BernardGrogan
Fresh Hands

Gloves?

Post by BernardGrogan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:59 pm

I need advice and suggestions.....I have a massage therapist at work who recently had a few biopsies done by her dermatologist on her hands. She's a nervous wreck about having to wear gloves until her hands heal....does anyone have a certain type of glove that you have used that you AND clients like? Latex? She's afraid clients are going to complain. Thanks!

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Gloves?

Post by pueppi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 am

For TMJ intra-oral work, I use nitrile gloves. I have not used gloves to work on a client for regular bodywork.

I just did a google search and found this for you. It may be useful.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-nitrile-gloves.htm wrote:Nitrile gloves are made of synthetic latex. They contain no latex proteins and offer excellent resistance to punctures and tears. Nitrile gloves are three times more puncture resistant than rubber and can be used to offer superior resistance to many types of chemicals.

Unlike other latex gloves, nitrile gloves have low resistance to friction and are very easy to slide on. There are a few other reasons that nitrile gloves are more popular than other latex or vinyl gloves, including a higher degree of flexibility and superior solvent resistance. When choosing a glove, there are a few points to consider. You should consider how much protection you need, the glove's quality and how it is made, and whether you have any allergic reactions to the glove’s material.

In the manufacturing process of latex, vinyl and nitrile gloves, there are standard measurements applied to the gloves. In order to rate the protective qualities of the glove, they are graded from 1 to 3. The glove that receives a medical grade means that it has received the highest protection rating. These gloves are rigorously tested to pass FDA requirements.

The next grade is the high-risk category. These are used in the emergency medical service fields, such as paramedics. A very high level of testing is required in order to assure the proper requirements are reached.

The next level is the utility grade. These are not intended to be used in the medical field and they are not tested to any FDA specifications. However, these gloves are recommended for jobs that require hand protection, such as painting. The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) regulates the standards of utility grade gloves.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-nitrile-gloves.htm wrote:To all who are suffering from contact dermatitis from the chemical accelerators used in manufacturing nitrile gloves, try switching to an accelerator free nitrile glove with low dermatitis potential. Many find they can wear this kind of non-latex glove. One brand to try is HandPro Aspen2100AF from Hourglass Industries, Inc.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-nitrile-gloves.htm wrote:I had an itch caused by vinyl gloves so now I wear cotton gloves underneath the vinyl gloves and there is no more problem. This may not work for everyone but it is a drug-free, ointment-free solution; a mechanical solution.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Taoist
Registered Member

Post by Taoist » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:23 am

I would suggest avoiding latex for the simple fact that a lot of people are sensitive to latex, possibly including the therapist. Reading over pueppi's search results, ntrile seems a good choice. While I haven't given a massage using gloves, I did receive one from a student who had the same thing done on his hands. Even knowing before-hand that he would be using gloves, I couldn't tell a difference during the massage. He was using pure jojoba so I don't know if a lighter oil or lotion/cream would make any difference. I also don't know if they were latex or something different.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Convoluted
Registered Member

Post by Convoluted » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 am

I have used gloves occassionally either due to a cut on my hand or due to a skin condition the client had. For the most part, I was the one who "noticed" the gloves more than the clients.

CapeTownBodyWorker
Fresh Hands

Post by CapeTownBodyWorker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:22 am

Being super-sensitive, I have so far avoided gloves when my fingers were cut, for example. I put on plasters and do a no-hands massage.
Cape Town Massage Practitioner at [url]http://www.newagetherapies.com/massage-cape-town.php[/url] letting my hair down and meeting kindred spirit worldwide

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

CapeTownBodyWorker wrote: I put on plasters and do a no-hands massage.
I am unfamiliar with the term "plasters". Could you clue me in? :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:44 pm

I have used gloves often and some clients don't even seem to notice. Just make sure the gloves fit well. I had to go to one specific store to find smalls.

MassageMaven
Registered Member

Post by MassageMaven » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Plaster are brit-speak for band aids.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

MassageMaven wrote:Plaster are brit-speak for band aids.
Thanks! :)

ALMT
Registered Member
Location: Frederick, MD and West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle

Post by ALMT » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am

What brand of nitrile gloves are folks using? I was looking at several on Amazon and in the comments for every single brand, people mention the glove texture on the fingers (or overall) help them grip things. I'm concerned about the supposed texture making them unsuitable for massage. I'm only interested in non-latex, non-vinyl and non-powdered, so nitrile seems the way to go. What do you use?
Marlene (say "Mar-lay-nuh")
Frederick Massage Therapy in Maryland
Web: http://FrederickMassageTherapy.com/
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frederickmassage

Return to “Tools of the Trade”