Cupping Equipment review

We have grown with the industry and found we need a forum just for products on the market, places to find them and discussions regarding these items. Please be aware that discussing products or companies should be done with respect and an offer of positive knowledge for all board members.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

vinaka
Fresh Hands

Re: Cupping Equipment review

Post by vinaka » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi Breathe,

They we got new Aqua Baguanfa Rubber Cups now. Can you post the review of them as well please. Thanks!

flotsette
Fresh Hands

Post by flotsette » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:27 pm

If anyone has the bagufana originals AND silicones - I would love to hear a comparison. My friend has the newer silicones - I went to order some and was confronted with this choice. I guess the silicones stand up to oil better? Would love to see a review. Thanks!

flotsette
Fresh Hands

Post by flotsette » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Just to follow up on my own message - I asked my friend who owns the aqua silicone cups. She attended training with the ICTA and she got to use both the older blue and newer aqua cups. She said she vastly preferred the aqua (which is why she got them), saying they were more pliable and thus easier to handle. She said the blue ones, by comparison, were "too hard."

So I ordered a quad set of the aqua. They wash up beautifully and look like they are virtually unaffected by lubricants. One thing I really like about them is in using them on myself, you can put them on and walk or move around - massaging the muscle in motion. Also they are very, very strong. They give a very thorough and effective treatment. My friend bought fire cups and glass rubber bulb cups ("bell cups") as well but uses these almost exclusively.

I am glad I have practiced with the bell cups before moving up to these, though. It seems they have many advantages but the one disadvantage is not being able to see what's going on inside the cup. So I am definitely glad to have some glass cup practice under my belt first before working with these.

rtallman
Fresh Hands

Post by rtallman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:03 pm

EarthSpa R&D now has the Clear Silicone Cups - www.cuppingtherapy.org > go to the Equipment page - I order them and like them even better than the Blue Silicone Baguanfa Cups.

Renee
Renee Tallman ND, L.Ac, LMBT
On Set Holistic Health Care Provider
MGM~Paramount~Warner Bros~Universal

Fynnyl
Fresh Hands

Post by Fynnyl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 am

Could somebody please explain me how the difference between different shapes/styles of cups translates into use ? For example comparing rigid / elastic cups.

Also, besides those UFO shaped blue ones that are described above, I saw those bell shaped silicone cups:
http://www.amazon.com/complete-set-sili ... ne+cupping

How are those different ? In terms of controlling the amount of suction, being able to slide/mobilize the tissue, ease of use etc ?

I'd like to try starting to learn cupping massage, and at first, I plan to focus on suction with movement, rather than static suction. Hope that makes sense :)

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Fynnyl wrote:Could somebody please explain me the difference between different shapes/styles of cups translates into use ? For example comparing rigid to elastic cups.

Also, besides those UFO shaped blue ones that are described above, I saw those bell shaped silicone cups:
http://www.amazon.com/complete-set-sili ... ne+cupping

How are those different ? In terms of controlling the amount of suction, being able to slide/mobilize the tissue, etc ?

I'd like to try starting to learn cupping massage, and at first, I plan to focus on suction with movement, rather than static suction. Hope that makes sense :)

I don't know the answer to your question, but your statement causes me to be somewhat concerned. You mention you want to focus on "suction with movement" but don't seem to know the parameters of the equipment. Does that translate to you not knowing the parameters of cupping in general? If so, you may want to take some coursework on cupping, it's mechanisms and why it is used for a better understanding - before deciding to use it in a "movement" manner. I write this based off of my current knowledge that cupping is not used with "movement". I could be wrong.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Fynnyl
Fresh Hands

Post by Fynnyl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Got some basic knowledge of cupping, which I plan to deepen before putting it to practice. I know what the equipment is supposed to do (mostly the classic glass cups, used with fire - which I'm not very comfortable using).

I do not know how the plastic/rubber/silicone/pump versions behave, which is why I am asking this question.

Basically, I'm trying to get the difference between:

1. Flexible and rigid cups

2. Bell shaped and "UFO" shaped flexible ones

Cups are often used with movement, which feels more familiar to me, being closer to the hands on massage. But I guess this isn't the traditional way of cupping ...
Last edited by Fynnyl on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re:

Post by pueppi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Loving this thread and most appreciative that you have taught me something new Fynnyl.
Fynnyl wrote:Cups are often used with movement, which feels more familiar to me, being closer to the hands on massage. But I guess this isn't the traditional way of cupping ...

Just adding this, since in Breathe's earlier post, I believe she mentioned she uses these cups for "sliding" techniques. Breathe always uses top quality, in everything I've seen on this forum in the past. Wish I could offer more info for you, but I did find that the Baguanfa Cups spoke about below, now come in clear. http://www.cuppingtherapy.org/pages/products.html#clear

Breathe wrote:Image

You can see that the edge is large and smooth. There is no appreciable abrading with these cups. They also do not squeegy the lubricant off the skin. Working feel is very similar to glass cups, except for two very important distinctions (other than ease of use): You can't see what is happening under the cup until it is moved, BUT you CAN work these cups carefully over bony areas like the spinous processes without discomfort. Obviously, anytime you work a tool over the top of bony prominences, extra care is needed. Use caution.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

flotsette
Fresh Hands

Post by flotsette » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:27 pm

I ended up revisiting this thread, since I am in the middle of the ICTA training, and they are associated with Earthspa which produces the Baguanfa cups.

I believe Fynnyl is talking about RUNNING cupping, rather than doing movement once the cups are on. However, it is quite possible to do range of motion on a joint using the silicone cups. We did it today in class! They refer to this as "dynamic" cupping. I also will put them on myself, and move and stretch while wearing them. You can even use them in the pool or tub.

I have been using the aqua Baguanfa cups for 2 years, and got a chance today to use the newer clear ones. They seem about equivalent to the ones I already have, with two advantages: you can see what's going on inside, and they're 100% silicone (so no absorbing oils and re-exuding them later, like the previous versions can do). The only other difference I noticed is that they seem to un-nest more easily than the aqua ones - which is not a big deal at all. I am definitely getting a quadruple set of the new clear ones to add to my cup collection.

So Fynnyl, how I would answer your question is: if you are interested in doing running cupping, I would highly recommend you get a set of the Baguanfa. (They are also great for static cupping, and other cupping techniques, so they really are the most versatile.) Of all my cups, these are the ones I use the most BY FAR - and the same is true for my friend who does cupping. I haven't tried the bell-shaped silicone ones, however, I think the Baguanfa (UFO shaped) would be much easier to hold while moving the cups. Also I think the sizes are much larger, which is more appropriate for running cupping. So if doing the running cupping is what you're interested in, I think you would be very happy with the Baguanfa. If I could have only one type of cup, it would be this type, hands down. Hopefully this information is still relevant to you!

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 am

flotsette wrote:I ended up revisiting this thread, since I am in the middle of the ICTA training, and they are associated with Earthspa which produces the Baguanfa cups.
Would you be kind enough to let us know what ICTA training is and provide a link if you have one? Thanks! :)

soniamorton LMT
Fresh Hands

Post by soniamorton LMT » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi Guys, I'm a little late to the post, but wanted to give the link to ICTA's Workshops. I'm an instructor for the International Cupping Therapy Association. You can find all the detail and more at Cuppingtherapy.org Hope to see you at a workshop soon!

Return to “Tools of the Trade”