MIGRAINES and EPILEPSY and TREATMENT

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

MIGRAINES and EPILEPSY and TREATMENT

Postby healingfaerie on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 pm

i am working consistently with an epileptic client. she is about 30, 32, and only has mild symptoms. she is managing it very well and has a very level head about her condition. :) she comes in to me for general relaxation and whatever specific bodily complaints she has.
this time, today, she came in to me and reported having migraines. i was surprised that i couldn't help her, with such a seemingly common condition. :\ i am interested in therapeutic techniques and accupressure points throughout the body, (not only for migraines but for her epilepsy,too) as well as any aromatherapeutic options you guys know about.
thanks for the help and bless!
healingfaerie
Fresh Hands

Re: MIGRAINES and EPILEPSY and TREATMENT

Postby pueppi on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:47 am

I find it takes time to work with migraines. Sometimes as long as a year... but, many times less, if the client will come in at least once a week and is able to have at minimum 30 mins. of fairly deep neck/occipital work.

Most of my clients who have had migraines long-term, will notice lessening within about 2 months.

I am a migraine sufferer, so I know of what I speak. I am down to about 3 per year. I believe I also have answered some migraine related posts elsewhere in the forum. You may want to search "migraine" or "migraines" with my name associated with the post.

I have not knowingly worked on any epileptics.

10/08/11 - corrected for a funky typo.
Last edited by pueppi on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: MIGRAINES and EPILEPSY and TREATMENT

Postby JasonE on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:29 pm

healingfaerie wrote:i am working consistently with an epileptic client. she is about 30, 32, and only has mild symptoms. she is managing it very well and has a very level head about her condition. :) she comes in to me for general relaxation and whatever specific bodily complaints she has.
this time, today, she came in to me and reported having migraines. i was surprised that i couldn't help her, with such a seemingly common condition. :\ i am interested in therapeutic techniques and accupressure points throughout the body, (not only for migraines but for her epilepsy,too) as well as any aromatherapeutic options you guys know about.
thanks for the help and bless!

You can't do anything about her epilepsy. You are also unlikely to accidentally "trigger" an episode. In general, epilepsy has little impact upon the work you can do with a client.

The migraines are unlikely to be related to the cause of her epilepsy. There are many possible causes of migraines, some of which you can address, some of which you can't. Study up on migraines and keep trying to help. Refer her to a neurologist if the migraines continue or worsen. I have been having great success with anterior neck work, primarily using positional release and dermoneuromodulation methods for migraines.

I don't use aromatherapy because it can be a pain/allergy/headache trigger for people who are scent-sensitive.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure