Benign brain tumor

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Benign brain tumor

Postby TouchofGrace on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 am

I had a 23 year old male yesterday who has had a benign brain tumor in the thalamus since birth. Many complications early in life but has no problems now other than the left side being a bit smaller & weaker than the right. The occipital attachments on the R were more bound than I've ever felt and when I commented on how bound they were he told me about the tumor (Not at intake...I am going to change the way I do my intake and my form as this is happening too much). Anyway... he works out here daily, holds a regular job and does everything he wants to do and he says they check it regularly and it is growing extremely slowly after all these years. He has lower back issues due to a minimal difference in stunted left side development. I did deep tissue in that area only and stuck to swedish everywhere else. Should I have stopped the massage and held out for doctor's permission? I felt that since he was so physically active light work would be ok but am second guessing myself now. ~Sandra
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength
TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby TouchofGrace on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:56 am

Let me add that as soon as I felt the attachments (first thing) and learned about the tumor, I didn't massage his neck or head at all, even lightly.
~Sandra

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:41 am

Since he's had this from birth, he probably does not consider it a medical condition, but just life. And since he is so active, there is evidently no concern about it being externally affected. I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to yesterday.

You could, however, go ahead and ask for a doctor's signature, saying that you were afraid to even touch his head or neck after finding that out, but since obviously his neck needs work, you'd like to be able to hear from the doctor exactly what, if any, restrictions there would be to massaging the area. This way it would be a positive - I can do even more if I get the okay - rather than a negative - I can't work with you without the okay.
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby TouchofGrace on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 am

Rose of Sharon wrote:Since he's had this from birth, he probably does not consider it a medical condition, but just life. And since he is so active, there is evidently no concern about it being externally affected. I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to yesterday.

You could, however, go ahead and ask for a doctor's signature, saying that you were afraid to even touch his head or neck after finding that out, but since obviously his neck needs work, you'd like to be able to hear from the doctor exactly what, if any, restrictions there would be to massaging the area. This way it would be a positive - I can do even more if I get the okay - rather than a negative - I can't work with you without the okay.

Thanks! On a different note, every time I see you post I still see your beautiful pink rose avatar every single time. :)
~Sandra

TouchofGrace
Registered Member

Postby Rose of Sharon on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:00 am

TouchofGrace wrote:
Thanks! On a different note, every time I see you post I still see your beautiful pink rose avatar every single time. :)

Awwww. I loved that, too. It was gifted to me by SalemRose, once upon a time...
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure