unexpected treatment response

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

unexpected treatment response

Postby meecindy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:59 am

Hello everyone,

Last week I worked on a client who suffers from headaches and migraines. I was working on the back of her neck and the trapezius area that are generally pretty tight. She had a trigger point on one side in the upper trap, which I was able to alleviate and all was well that evening. She said her neck and shoulder area felt looser and she was generally feeling better. I had also put sombra on afterwards.

The following day she told me that the side that had the trigger point was extremely painful and somewhat inflammed. That she was even unable to raise her arm very high without a great deal of pain. The day after that however, all pain was gone and she was feeling great.

Is that a normal response? I didn't think I had used that much pressure, although I do realize that the intensity of the pressure varies from client to client. Also when I was working on her I checked in numerous times, always asking how the pressure was, and she was fine. She wasn't guarding or appeared to be overly tender anywhere.

Help! I sure don't want to repeat that response in her or anyone else unless it's normal, and then I can at least warn them.
meecindy
Fresh Hands

Postby TouchofGrace on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:58 am

I've only been in business a cpl years, but it has happened to me before when the area being worked is already very tight and tender to touch. One of my once a week clients, due to overtime on her job at this time of year, has developed problems with her left bicep and I did more specific work on it than I'd been doing and started using some of James Waslaski (spelling) techniques. She said she was fine the next morning, but by noon was really sore, but the next day it was fine and she had better range of motion than she's had for a while. I try to always err on the side of caution though, as I have learned by trial and error to be careful being too aggressive with a new client. It just works better for me to let the client gain more trust and a better understanding of what to expect during and after a massage before I work too deeply.

In your case though, it turned out well and you have earned a new client. :)
~Sandra

Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow...it empties today of its strength
TouchofGrace
Registered Member

What is a normal pain cycle?

Postby CtScapula on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:17 am

It seems that this kind of thing just happens now and again. In the case of new clients, I always try to follow up the next day, just to see how things are. Typically, in cases where the client says there's a problem I offer to schedule a follow-up ASAP if the problem (ie pain, immobility) persists. I also consult with other MTs, chiropractors, and orthopedists, this is a great way to generate referrals. When you don't know ask, and when in doubt refer out.

Most cases may have pain or other problems the first day but usually things return to a good and even better state.

It's all about being there for clients, but don't freak out or they'll do the same.
J. Vaughn, LMT
Targeting Your Well-Being
http://www.j-vaughn.com/
jvaughn@massagetherapy.com
CtScapula
Fresh Hands

Postby meecindy on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:09 pm

thanks so much for your replies. i have to say it really did freak me out a bit when she told me her response the following day. i did try very hard not to show it though. also, i have been feeling a little nervous about working on others with very tight shoulders and necks, and i those are a lot of my current clients. i feel better though with your replies.

thanks!
meecindy
Fresh Hands

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure