lots of cervical pain- help!

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

lots of cervical pain- help!

Postby sfaithj on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm not practicing massage anymore however I have ongoing neck pain and really need some advice. Right now, my upper traps and neck are tight and in pain. I've tried foam rolling, laying across my fitness ball and a handheld massage device. Still tight and in pain. I also have a tendency to stick out my jaw. I was wondering if this product might help with my neck tightness and sticking my jaw out:

http://www.optp.com/Occipivot_4502C.aspx

Also, what would ya'll recommend for general neck and trap tightness for the individual person? A theracane? Activ Roll?

Thanks!
sfaithj
Fresh Hands

Re: lots of cervical pain- help!

Postby pueppi on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:55 am

With "lot's of pain", and being an MT, you can imagine what my suggestion would be... find a therapist to work on you regularly.

If you have already tried some at-home options and they are not working, then you probably need more specific work.

I wouldn't use an occipivot until you determined the cause of the issue, in order to know if it is the right tool or not. It sounds like you are guessing at this point and guessing can cause you to create more injury to yourself, if you are not careful.

I hope you are able to find a path for healing in the near future.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells ...
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)