Obscure modalities (and others)

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Postby pueppi on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:30 am

I heard about this one today. It's new to me.

Berry Method
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Blisss on Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 am

Here's a few more:

Visceral Manipulation
http://www.iahe.com/html/therapies/vm.jsp

PUSH Therapy
http://pushtherapy.com

Yamuna Body Rolling
http://www.yamunabodyrolling.com

Sound Healing & Vibrational Therapy
www.songofthespine.com

Rossiter System
http://www.rossiter.com

Isn't it amazing how many different ways there are to work with the body?
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby rtallman on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:28 am

I haven't seen Baguanfa, aka Negative Pressure Massage Cupping, listed in this thread under obscure modalities. I think it might qualify.
Renee Tallman ND, L.Ac, LMBT
On Set Holistic Health Care Provider
MGM~Paramount~Warner Bros~Universal
rtallman
Fresh Hands

Tibetan Sound Bowl Massage

Postby yelena on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:02 am

Tibetan Sound Bowls Massage is new to USA, but is very common and popular in Germany. Ancient and almost forgotten Tibetan healing modality. Brings profound relaxation and allows body to heal itself. Some people experience strong emotional release. My favorite!
yelena
Fresh Hands

Postby riversinger on Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:09 am

I'd love to hear more about how others are using the bowls.

I've been using them myself for quite awhile now, and find them to be deeply relaxing on every level. My clients love the sounds & appreciate the gentle awakening it provides for them to turn over, or when the session in completed.

I've also gotten several CD's to play in the office & like to use them myself for meditation & relaxation.

I posted another thread about them some time back, as to what I did with them during the course of a session, but I'm not sure which thread it was now !
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby yelena on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:06 am

I place bowls on the body and tab them with the same rhythm which produces hypnotic effects while the vibration of the bowls radiate through the body. I use 2 bowls right now. In the future I will purchase another one and move to 3. I start prone with bowl on the foot and move up joint by joint. Another bowl I place on the torso. I finish supine. The bowls have a velcro on the bottom and can be attach to what we call magic carpet. This is a pad with metal threads going through which make it easy to place a bowl on any surface. This is a local invention, they don’t do it in Germany, but it makes bowls placement much easier. Peter Hess is the one who brought the modality from Tibet to Germany. You can look him up. You will also find plenty of website in Germany, some in English. I use Peter Hess’ bowls. They make those in Nepal with ancient technology by hand from 12 metals. He then tests them and only put his stamp on the best, leaving others for souvenir shops. I’ve seen antique bowls just as good or better, but rarely. Peter’s bowls are awesome. I have more information on my new website, which I am still working on. I am planning to add instruction on how to place bowls. My teachers also do hypnosis tapping the bowls in certain rhythm.
How you use them?
yelena
Fresh Hands

Postby riversinger on Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:55 pm

I posted this back in January under Tools of the Trade:

The way I have used them depends a bit on the client,
but typically you can strike a bowl a few times at the start of a session. This has the effect of taking both you & the client into a more grounded & centered space from the beginning.

With some sessions I use them more frequently than others. If I'm doing energywork: this is done to increase the effects by placing the bowl directly on the body
(usually on the chest or abdomen, or on the lower back )
When you have the bowls on your body, or on the table itself, the vibration seems like it flows right through every cell of your being. It really is an amazing feeling.

I usually use the bowls at the very end of session by striking it, then bringing the bowl close to the crown of the head, moving it away & striking it again then bringing up close to one side of the head at a time. Next I strike it above the body and begin sweeping it down the body in figure 8 motions (at least 3 times). At the end of that I will often repeat sounding the bowl again up near the head once again.

I'd love to know what the prices ran on the bowls you obtained from Peter Hess, and how to contact him as well.
There are so many people these days selling bowls online, and its difficult to know who is really selling what they believe are actually antiques. Plus, its always preferable to handle & hear the bowls in person of course. That said both of my 2 best bowls were bought through online sources !

I am fortunate to have a Tibetan bowl sound practitioner
who lives in my area & have been to him several times for sessions in which he plays several bowls, a dorjie & tingshas & two gongs. The effect is incredible, as it feels as though it clears everything on a cellular level, as well as mentally, emotionally & spiritually as well. One of the sessions he did I was journeying so deeply I never even heard him strike the big gong at all ! I want one of my own someday soon.
riversinger

Postby yelena on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:26 pm

I definitely agree, the effect of the bowls is profound and it does work on cellular level. You can also ground the energy if you sweep from the top down (person standing or laying down), or energize if you go up. I do both, ground first, and then energize. I also agree that it’s better to personally choose the bowls. I buy them from the woman who had studied extensively with Peter Hess. She lives here in Jacksonville, fl. She frequently goes back to Germany and brings more bowls back. She has large collection and she is teaching classes. I can't post her website here, but it's soundmassagetherapy

The cost, by weight, I don’t remember how much for kilogram, but it comes to around $200 depend on the size and the weight of the bowl. In my experience, the Tibetan bowls have the most profound effect. I know practitioners that incorporate bowls at the beginning of the massage sessions to completely relax the person. Try to have them vibrate on you for an hour. It is awesome!

i am glad someone else recognizes what how great Tibetan Bowls are.
yelena
Fresh Hands

Postby riversinger on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:23 pm

I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with the name of the woman who brings bowls back from Germany, so I could contact her about possibly purchasing a bowl.

The price sounds very reasonable, considering what many of them are going for. I'd love to know if she teaches classes anywhere in the Northeastern US as well. Thanks for the info and for bringing up more discussion about these wonderful instruments. I love them for so many reasons, and am in awe of the effect they have on me & my clients as well, that it's difficult to describe in words.
The only way I can describe it would be to say that it is
a purely experiential journey, which seems to go beyond time & space, into an altered state of being, and oneness.
riversinger

Postby yelena on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:35 pm

I agree!
Just type in soundmassagetherapy and .com
It's her website. You will find her phone number and her name and the scedule of her classes. If you talk to her, mention my name! I love both her and her husband. Wealth of knowledge and the nicest people. Good luck!
yelena
Fresh Hands

Postby Bobblehead on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 pm

"Be who you are and say what feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
Theodor Geisel
Bobblehead
Registered Member

Floatation

Postby MRJS on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:53 am

Floatation, sensory-deprivation from light and sound in an Epsom salt bath.

Origins: Dead Sea in Israel

www.DriftAwaySpas.com

When you're in the floatation tank, it just "Me, Myself, and Irene".
Relaxed muscles are worth infinitely more than gold.
MRJS
Fresh Hands

Postby akashafive on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Sotai (aka: Japanese Chiropractics). It's not massage, but we learned it in massage school. It uses breathing and gentle movements to release tight muscles throughout the body.
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Re: Obscure modalities (and others)

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:33 am

I am just hearing about a Honey Massage. It is so post to be a very intense massage and even very painful at times. Has anyone tried? I know someone who offers this, so I am going to give it a try.
JLWmassage

Re:

Postby JasonE on Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Bobblehead wrote:Did not see Judo-therapy / Seifuku.
http://www.kuretake.ac.jp/english/therapeutic/basic_knowledge04.htm

I used to study Danzan Ryu Jujutsu (DZR), founded by Henry Seichiro Okazaki in Hawaii many years ago. Okazaki was also a noted practitioner of Japanese healing arts, and he also taught his healing methods to his advanced martial arts disciples. My instructors were kind enough to teach many of the basic healing techniques, and I have used a number of them successfully over the years. Particularly kappo-jutsu... very handy for reviving people when you are knocking/choking each other out during practice sessions. ;)

Anyway, Okazaki was particularly known for his seifukujutsu, a type of bodywork that doesn't sound very comfortable or relaxing. Here's a good description of the basic method: http://www.danzan.com/HTML/BOARDS/sfj_web.html

If you want to learn the method, or have questions about it, here's a good place to start: http://www.kodenkan.com/

I will always be indebted to Okazaki for his excellent method of stopping bleeding from minor head wounds. :mrgreen:
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby familymassage on Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 am

champissage? ("the original indian head massage")

i was eyeballing it, but not currently able to take a class.

www.msusanwalsh.com/champissage
familymassage
Registered Member

Postby lovelynb on Sat May 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Sign up for a listing in my free massage directory. It's growing every day. Massage Directory
lovelynb
Fresh Hands

Postby signature16 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Primal Reflex Release Technique
http://www.ThePRRT.com
signature16
Fresh Hands

Postby JasonE on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:21 pm

signature16 wrote:Primal Reflex Release Technique
http://www.ThePRRT.com

:spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4: :spam4:

3 posts and every one is about PRRT. How about introducing yourself and participating as something other than a marketing bot?

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby pueppi on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:56 am

EgoMagickian wrote:Hi folks,

So I just heard about Zentherapy from Texas-gal today, and it got me interested in hearing from all of us to compile a modalities list. Not sure if there's already another thread on this...

<snip>

So on my obscure list I'd start with
Zen Therapy

Coming back full circle... I thought you might enjoy this ZenTherapy Article: http://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/ ... odytherapy

I happened to be in a HalfPrice books yesterday and ran across one of his books. Didn't even know he had written anything. So, I picked it up, since the lady I used to work with (who has since passed away) had studied with him. interesting factoid: prior to Zen Bodywork he called it "Dubbing".

• A Zen Approach to Bodytherapy: From Rolf to Feldenkrais to Tanouye Roshi (Paperback)
    Author: William S. Leigh Edition: (1990-04-01) Publisher: Inland Book Co Paperback
    ISBN-10: 092187202X ISBN-13: 9780921872023

• Zentherapy (New Ed) (Paperback)
    Author: William S. Leigh Edition: New Ed (2000) Publisher: Renaissance Books Paperback
    ISBN-10: 1580630987 ISBN-13: 9781580630986

• It appears there should be a third book, but I can't locate the title just yet.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Neat article.. the modality sounds pretty amazing. The fact that the creator was certified by both Rolf and Feldenkrais attracts me to receiving it sometime.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby khora on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:50 pm

JLWmassage wrote:I am just hearing about a Honey Massage. It is so post to be a very intense massage and even very painful at times. Has anyone tried? I know someone who offers this, so I am going to give it a try.

i was taught honey massage (and experienced it) as part of the basic massage course i graduated from.
the first 2-3 sessions may be somehow painful - but it all depends on the technique used.
basically, the idea is that the massage practitioner spreads a teaspoon of liquid honey (with or without essential oils) on the massaged part of the body. after that, the practitioner puts her hands on the client's body, holds them for a few seconds (until they are glued to the skin by the honey) and lift them quickly. after a few seconds, the practitioner repeats the procedure, until she covers the whole massaged surface. the procedure for the back takes 15 minutes, for one leg - 10 minutes, etc.
the procedure may be a little bit painful - pain increases with the speed the hands are lifted from the client's skin. so, for the first sessions, i'd recommend medium speed.
after a session, the client feels very energized (i know i felt that way:) )
our instructor told us it is indicated in cases of osteochondrosis, radiculitis, for helping with immunity problems etc. it greatly stimulates blood and lymph flow in the subcutaneous tissue.
hope that helps, and that my english is intelligible enough.
khora
Fresh Hands

Postby JasonE on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 pm

khora wrote:
JLWmassage wrote:I am just hearing about a Honey Massage. It is so post to be a very intense massage and even very painful at times. Has anyone tried? I know someone who offers this, so I am going to give it a try.

i was taught honey massage (and experienced it) as part of the basic massage course i graduated from.
the first 2-3 sessions may be somehow painful - but it all depends on the technique used.
basically, the idea is that the massage practitioner spreads a teaspoon of liquid honey (with or without essential oils) on the massaged part of the body. after that, the practitioner puts her hands on the client's body, holds them for a few seconds (until they are glued to the skin by the honey) and lift them quickly. after a few seconds, the practitioner repeats the procedure, until she covers the whole massaged surface. the procedure for the back takes 15 minutes, for one leg - 10 minutes, etc.
the procedure may be a little bit painful - pain increases with the speed the hands are lifted from the client's skin. so, for the first sessions, i'd recommend medium speed.
after a session, the client feels very energized (i know i felt that way:) )
our instructor told us it is indicated in cases of osteochondrosis, radiculitis, for helping with immunity problems etc. it greatly stimulates blood and lymph flow in the subcutaneous tissue.
hope that helps, and that my english is intelligible enough.

How does this offer any benefits that are not available to people receiving cupping, myofascial release, connective tissue massage, or dermoneuromodulation? From your description, it sounds like a messy way to go about doing some basic (and unnecessarily painful) skin stretching. :smt017

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby squash_blsm on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:06 am

Hmmm...I know that honey is used in natural skin care and when used as a facial or body mask actually liquifies from the warmth of the skin - especially when done as a bodywrap. Honey also has anti-bacterial benefits. It is used in some ayurvedic treatments. I can't imagine that it is like "glue" ...more like a sticky lotion. So the "myofascial" effects would be mimimum. Cupping would be MUCH more intense.
So I am assuming that this treatment is more of a spa experience than anything else.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby Elliemare on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't practice this but a client told me about it and it cured her migrain!

Tei shin therapy? Anyone know anything about it? I'm very interested. Its needle-less acupuncture. Its no substitute for acupuncture but its more concentrated than acupressure.

I'm certainly going to research this therapy further but would love to know if anyone else has any experiences or information about it.
Elliemare
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)