Ever heard of Bonnie Prudden?

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Ever heard of Bonnie Prudden?

Postby EgoMagickian on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:01 pm

Her website says she basically invented trigger point work... she sounds amazing... I'm wondering why we heard about Travell in school but not Prudden.

http://www.bonnieprudden.com/about.html

Hmmm... she is mentioned in one of my books it turns out. We only ever heard about how great Travell's work was. How about you?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby AngEngland on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I read "Pain Erasure" when I was 10 and began practicing massage therapy after that. Through years of swimming and coaching gymnastics, etc what I learned through her book helped me keep my girls healthy. After bodywork/chiro and specific exercise saved me from surgery post-car-accident and helped me maintain a nearly pain-free status I began pursuing massage as a potential career and went to the classes.

Angela <><
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Yes, I've heard of her. I may still have a copy of one of her books somewhere, but I must admit, I haven't read it all, though I may have skimmed it back when I got it. I got it in about 1989.

I'm sorry I don't have any other input than that. :?
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby makingachange on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm

yes, my mom spoke of her often as she was teaching me massage

amanda
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."~
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
makingachange
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:48 pm

I too heard of her way before Massage School (1997)... I recall reading about it in a popular magazine of the day, something like Ladies Home Journal. :lol:
My guess the reason we don't hear about her much in the MT world is that Bonnie Prudden was really more about bringing massage/pain relief to the masses... teaching them how to help themselves.
Not something that is very common in our society these days.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby kathryn on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:06 am

There were several researchers looking into trigger points and therapy as early as the 1930's-1940's. My guess as to why Travell is mentioned more often is because she was the first female physician in the white house and also a female physician during the time when women typically didn't have those types of positions. Travell is really known more for the amount of research she contributed on the etiology of trigger points, not so much for therapy to treat them.

It's probably due to lack of great marketing, marketing & more marketing. I didn't really hear of Prudden until several years after I finished massage school (which was almost ten years ago.)
kathryn
Registered Member

Postby peacenut on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:22 am

Bonnie Prudden grads are called, "myotherapists" instead of "massage therapists."

There is a Bonnie Prudden grad in my area and he calls himself a certified myotherapist. He is certified by the Bonnie Prudden school and not the state. He didn't take the seminar courses, he took the long program.
peacenut
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:54 am

I've met her. I took a weekend course back in 2003, but then determined that it wasn't really my thing.

the long course mentioned above is quite a long course, assuming I remember correctly.

Prudden was working with Travell, when an injection, or the prep for an injection eased the trp and ended the pain for a pt. That is when she started to not do injections and started elbowing people instead. Drawing circles on panties and the like. It was a fun course.
StressSolutions

Postby JaneBNH on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:14 am

I have Travell's Volume I & II - great reference. I got them while in school taking Neuromuscular massage. Another prolific author of massage was Fran Tappan. I have a few of her books.
JaneBNH
Registered Member

Postby AngEngland on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 am

I still refer to the Bonnie Prudden charts from the back of her book sometimes. *laughing*
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:56 pm

I can't believe you young "whipper-snappers" have never heard of Bonnie Prudden!!!

I've had her book Pain Erasure for the (only)six years I have been a massage therapist.

What are they teaching kids nowadays? :lol:
squash_blsm

Postby AnastasiaB on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:45 am

:smt044 :smt043 :smt082 "whippersnappers" :smt079 :biglaugh:

Squash Blsm - you crack me up!! My thoughts exactly.... "who's Bonnie Prudden?" indeed! Of course, I can be accused of being as old or older than dirt some days, LOL. Heard of her waaaaaay back before massage school in the 70s and early 80s................
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com
AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:59 pm

What are they teaching kids nowadays?

Paul St. John, John Latz, Tom Myers :-)
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby squash_blsm on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:58 am

EgoMagickian wrote:What are they teaching kids nowadays?

Paul St. John, John Latz, Tom Myers :-)

Sure - but there is a HUGE history of movement, bodywork and massage therapy - MANY interesting people that have made significant contributions!

Just a glance at my book shelf show me...
Deanne Juhan, Thomas Hannah, Ida Rolf, Rich Phaigh, and TONS more!
squash_blsm

Postby AnastasiaB on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:02 am

I didn't know that anyone else in the world had Rich Phaigh's book~ it's what got me interested in learning massage for humans in the first place......... neat!
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com
AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 am

Of course... my deep tissue class simply took the tack of presenting more current sources of information, which of course stand on the shoulders of those who came before.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: Ever heard of Bonnie Prudden?

Postby suzypruddeb on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm Bonnie's daughter - just discovered you while searching stories about my mother on the net. Haven't figured out quite how to use this site - if you want to read about me www.suzyprudden.com. My sister and I are writing a book about the memories people have about our mother. If you'd like to share a memory you have, contact me at storiesaboutBonnie@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
suzypruddeb
Fresh Hands

Re: Ever heard of Bonnie Prudden?

Postby FASST Pain Relief on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah. I think she was a patient of Travell's. Trigger point work has been around since before Prudden. There was a chiropractor named Raymond Nimmo who was doing neuromuscular back in the day, under another name (i think it was called the Receptor Tonus Method or something like that) and you also had Chaitow and Lief. I think these people were before Prudden. I'm sure her stuff is good. There's just no telling how long trigger point work has been around in one form or another. I'm sure each "flavor" of trigger point work has it's own unique contributions.
Targeted, Results-Oriented Therapy and NCBTMB Approved Continuing Education http://www.FASSTpainrelief.com
FASST Pain Relief
Fresh Hands

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)