Anyone have any information on "Jamuthai massage?"

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

elsewhere
Registered Member

Anyone have any information on "Jamuthai massage?"

Post by elsewhere » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:37 am

An organization I work for wants me to teach this to my students in Italy in November. I have no knowledge of it other than that it is done with moist aromatic towels and stuff on the net is sparse. The foundation is sending me a book on it and I am a quick study but I appeal to my esteemed colleagues here if there is any information you can steer me to it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

MassageMaven
Registered Member

Post by MassageMaven » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Jamu Thai Massage - I believe this is a table thai routine created by Kim Collier at JAMU and only taught to spas who sign a contract and buy product from JAMU.

see website http://www.jamuspa.com

and click on the training link

Description straight from their website:

JAMU THAI:
A celebration of Thai healing therapies presented in a multi day training program. The Thai program encompasses the JAMU Thai Coconut body scrub, Thai herbal poutice massage treatment and traditional Thai massage. Offered exclusively through Zen Thai and JAMU Asian Spa Rituals.

elsewhere
Registered Member

Post by elsewhere » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks for the link. I had looked into her work. She seems to have trademarked a particular version of this and has her products locked into place with it, I'm not a big fan of deals like that. I don't know anyone that does it around here either. Closest place is Carlsbad. I think I am going to try to talk my associates in Italy into doing something else.

melb
Registered Member

Post by melb » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:52 pm

What people will trademark when givien a chance!!! Jamu is Indonesian traditional herbal medicine! Trademarking it is a bit like an Indonesian company trade marking something like apple pie, though Hello Kitty is trade marked. I suppose jamu sounds exotic, and it is linked to healing if anyone is familiar with the traditional meaning.

elsewhere
Registered Member

Post by elsewhere » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:06 pm

melb wrote:What people will trademark when givien a chance!!!
I know, it's shameless. Basically though she has just created a trademark name and is selling products based on that. She doesn't seem to be coming off like she invented Jamu, still.....

Her stuff is REALLY expensive too.

I have been doing a lot of studying on Jamu this week and am really excited about it now. I have agreed to go ahead and teach it to my students in Italy. I have a few months to prepare so I'll be fine. It's not really a very difficult modality and I've got some great resources now to get up to speed. My foundation in Italy has sent me some really good stuff from a connection we have in Java. I'm up for the challenge.

I'll also be teaching another modality which I am much more versed in so
I'm comfortable with the whole set up. It'll be fun.

Return to “Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)”