Local Township regs

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

squash_blsm

Local Township regs

Post by squash_blsm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I am probably moving my biz to a township that has a "massage ordinance".

The ordinance itself was about 8 pages long.
They use the term "massagist" instead of massage therapist.
And most of the language pertains to prostitution not massage!
So I figured this was an old ordinance that just hadn't been updated in 20 years.
But I found out it is just over a year old!

Looks like I am going to have to jump thru some hoops!
I am waiting to hear back, but it looks like I have to pay for an occupancy permit , a massage establishment permit, PLUS a massagist permit, plus I need to submit a letter from a physician saying that I am free from "communicable diseases", plus list all the places that I have lived and worked for the past 10 years.
The secretary did not have the forms and said I had to talk to the head of the town permit dept in person, who was not in at the time. Hopefully I will get in to see him tomorrow or friday (and can get a total on the fees - which look like about $200-$300 at the minimum)

This is in addition to the cost of my state license, insurance, police background check, required ceu's and cpr cert that I have already paid for.

jeeeesh! :roll:
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Local Township regs

Post by JasonE » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

squash_blsm wrote:I am probably moving my biz to a township that has a "massage ordinance".

The ordinance itself was about 8 pages long.
They use the term "massagist" instead of massage therapist.
And most of the language pertains to prostitution not massage!
So I figured this was an old ordinance that just hadn't been updated in 20 years.
But I found out it is just over a year old!

Looks like I am going to have to jump thru some hoops!
I am waiting to hear back, but it looks like I have to pay for an occupancy permit , a massage establishment permit, PLUS a massagist permit, plus I need to submit a letter from a physician saying that I am free from "communicable diseases", plus list all the places that I have lived and worked for the past 10 years.
The secretary did not have the forms and said I had to talk to the head of the town permit dept in person, who was not in at the time. Hopefully I will get in to see him tomorrow or friday (and can get a total on the fees - which look like about $200-$300 at the minimum)

This is in addition to the cost of my state license, insurance, police background check, required ceu's and cpr cert that I have already paid for.

jeeeesh! :roll:
Yet another example of why continued public education about massage is necessary. Until legitimate, licensed MTs can practice without being treated like prostitutes, we have not been recognized as professionals.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 am

yes, it does make me shake my head.
It's a shame that this got passed - there is a massage school located in this town.
The owners have worked diligently for years in getting state licensing passed.
So this local ordinance, passed AFTER state licensing, seems misguided at best.
I am NOT going to call myself a "massagist" even though it is a legitimate word.
It's bad enough that I will have to display my "massagist" permit!

Oh - and ordinance states that buttocks may not be exposed or touched at all in any manner (i gotta stop reading this...it's making me crazy).
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 pm

squash_blsm wrote:yes, it does make me shake my head.
It's a shame that this got passed - there is a massage school located in this town.
I am NOT going to call myself a "massagist" even though it is a legitimate word.

Oh - and ordinance states that buttocks may not be exposed or touched at all in any manner (i gotta stop reading this...it's making me crazy).
If you have a state massage license, it may exempt you from the local ordinances. Check your state law and with your state massage board for guidance. It can't exempt you from zoning requirements, but otherwise you might be able to ignore large portions of the local ordinance. Before deciding on your course of action, investigate carefully and get some legal counsel if you can.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 am

What state are you in?
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

moose_goose
Registered Member

Post by moose_goose » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:31 am

JasonE wrote:
squash_blsm wrote:yes, it does make me shake my head.

If you have a state massage license, it may exempt you from the local ordinances. Check your state law and with your state massage board for guidance. It can't exempt you from zoning requirements, but otherwise you might be able to ignore large portions of the local ordinance. Before deciding on your course of action, investigate carefully and get some legal counsel if you can.

What Jason said!
We've got a "massage practitioner" city thing, but since I'm state licensed, that trumps the city stuff.

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:56 am

Nope....
I went to the township directly.
They don't CARE about the state license - the ordinance was passed after licensing went into effect.
I took care of the problem by renting in a different town.
I don't want to be there that bad to have to fight it.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 am

squash_blsm wrote:Nope....
I went to the township directly.
They don't CARE about the state license - the ordinance was passed after licensing went into effect.
I took care of the problem by renting in a different town.
I don't want to be there that bad to have to fight it.
Hope you'll take time to write about it somewhere and how things are going with encouraging established clients to come on over to the new town you are in.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics”