Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby Phantomwater on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Having graduated just a few months ago, and rushing at the school's prompting to get everything done immediately, I find it frustrating that I am still waiting for my license. I apologize if this has been covered previously in another thread. I am new to the forums still. I appreciate everyone's input on this, so many minds full of info on here :D I have been on a few interviews, but have stopped hunting for openings. I have gotten the impression that the wait for my license is discouraging prospective employers. When we graduated, the career services people insisted it was appropriate to begin looking as soon as possible. Should I continue or wait until I have the license? I don't want to ruin good opportunities by wasting their time.
User avatar
Phantomwater
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby Rozax on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Licensed massage therapy is still a pretty new concept, so it may take a while for the career advisors to discern how to approach job openings in our field. I don't see where there's any harm in looking, though. The main question I have is if you're waiting for your license or waiting to take your certification exam?
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby Phantomwater on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:11 pm

No, just waiting for the license. I took the certification exam the week after classes ended. There was a bit of time between then and applying though, due to waiting for transcripts. I guess this raises another question in my head as well. We were given an estimate of waiting time as well by career services, does that timeframe apply to when we submit the application, or to when we receive the letter that acknowleges the application?
User avatar
Phantomwater
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:02 am

As an employer, I would not want to waste my time interviewing someone for an existing opening who did not have a license in hand. There are so many ways for a license to get delayed -- both on the part of the MT and the gov't -- that it is not worth holding a job for someone for an indefinite period of time.

I do, however, routinely interview applicants for future reference.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
User avatar
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:06 am

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby Phantomwater on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:07 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:As an employer, I would not want to waste my time interviewing someone for an existing opening who did not have a license in hand. There are so many ways for a license to get delayed -- both on the part of the MT and the gov't -- that it is not worth holding a job for someone for an indefinite period of time.

I do, however, routinely interview applicants for future reference.


Thank you :) agreed. Also, as an employer, I have not run into applicants waiting for credentials, so I didn't really think about it much when I began searching. It makes sense now in hindsight that holding an opening is difficult to do, if not impossible. I have spoken with the government about it, and they stated it appeared to just be a processing time issue, not an ommission on my part thankfully. Would it be distasteful to reapproach the employers after I receive it Relax? As an employer in this environment, how would that appear to you? Do you have any suggestions on how to approach them? There were a couple I was interested in, and would hate to think I ruined an opportunity with them because of taking the career services suggestion.
User avatar
Phantomwater
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby GreenDragonfly on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:17 am

I interviewed before I had my license in hand. I showed proof that I passed the test and had my interview and we just waited. I realize that is probably NOT typical since like what R&R said, it doesn't make sense for an employer to have to wait to fill an opening. In my case, it worked out alright. (and I love where I work!)

If I were in your shoes again, I would do some research investigating the places I wanted to work, get a massage there and start collecting info about the place: how far of a drive it is from where you live, what is their compensation, what are the hours/are they flexible if need be, what type of place it is in general, how are the people that work there currently(attitude), how busy is it? What types of bodywork do they offer? Check out online review sites to see if there is any positive or negative reviews... stuff like that.

Good luck!
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
User avatar
GreenDragonfly
Moderator
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:50 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:52 am

One of the only smart things the DC gov't does is allow applicants to work for 90 days while their application is being processed.

They have to be "supervised" during this time, which is defined as someone signing a letter attesting to the fact the applicant can call them to talk about their work as a massage therapist. Absolutely useless supervision, since by DC standards a new grad who has their DC license can act as "Supervisor" to someone moving to DC from NYC where they require 1000 hours of training!

Most of our MTs in the DC market come to us under the supervisory practice route. Can't rmember the last time someone did not get their license, since once you pass the NatCert and have the proper hours of training in the right subjects, the process if purely administrative.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
User avatar
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:06 am

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby Phantomwater on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:53 am

GreenDragonfly wrote:If I were in your shoes again, I would do some research investigating the places I wanted to work, get a massage there and start collecting info about the place: how far of a drive it is from where you live, what is their compensation, what are the hours/are they flexible if need be, what type of place it is in general, how are the people that work there currently(attitude), how busy is it? What types of bodywork do they offer? Check out online review sites to see if there is any positive or negative reviews... stuff like that.

Good luck!



I will do that! Some of the details I have, but I haven't really investigated them thoroughly. I suppose I will take this time waiting to find out more and then reapproach the situation when I finally do have all my documents in order. I appreciate your thoughts, thank you very much!
User avatar
Phantomwater
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby GreenDragonfly on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Phantomwater wrote:
GreenDragonfly wrote:If I were in your shoes again, I would do some research investigating the places I wanted to work, get a massage there and start collecting info about the place: how far of a drive it is from where you live, what is their compensation, what are the hours/are they flexible if need be, what type of place it is in general, how are the people that work there currently(attitude), how busy is it? What types of bodywork do they offer? Check out online review sites to see if there is any positive or negative reviews... stuff like that.

Good luck!



I will do that! Some of the details I have, but I haven't really investigated them thoroughly. I suppose I will take this time waiting to find out more and then reapproach the situation when I finally do have all my documents in order. I appreciate your thoughts, thank you very much!


Glad to help! What part of IL are you from if you don't mind my asking? I'm in the southwest chicago burbs. :)
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
User avatar
GreenDragonfly
Moderator
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:50 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs

Re: Does lack of a license influence your interview outcome?

Postby Phantomwater on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 pm

GreenDragonfly wrote:
Glad to help! What part of IL are you from if you don't mind my asking? I'm in the southwest chicago burbs. :)

    Southwest suburbs as well :)
    User avatar
    Phantomwater
    Fresh Hands
     
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 am
    Location: Illinois


    Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest