Stop the Ma. Massage Law

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Stop the Ma. Massage Law

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:09 am

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-MA-M ... 6165716894

There is a new law in the senate that will up the hours from 650 - 900 and require 150 hours of CEU's a year.

I am all for education, but the hours where just upped last year and 150 hours of CEU's a year is just crazy. Most MT's won't be able to afford that.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/Senate/S00090
JLWmassage

Re: Stop the Ma. Massage Law

Postby JaeMarie on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 am

As I'm reading it, you do not need 150 ceu's a year.

SECTION 3, Said section 229 of said chapter 112 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding after subsection (c), the following subsection:-

(d) The board shall renew existing practitioners who, within a twelve month period following the effective date of this section have done one of the following: (1) completed 150 hours of continuing education as prescribed by the board; (2) passed the nation certification board for therapeutic massage and bodywork (NCBTMB) certification examination; or (3) is able to demonstrate that the applicant has been in active continuous practice of massage therapy for at least five years immediately preceding the effective date of this section.

It sounds like it's a way to play catch up to the new required hours, for people who have been practicing for less than 5 years. It seems though, that if you can pass the NCBTMB, that get's you around having to do the hours as well.
JaeMarie

Postby Taoist on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:49 pm

JaeMarie wrote:As I'm reading it, you do not need 150 ceu's a year.

SECTION 3, Said section 229 of said chapter 112 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding after subsection (c), the following subsection:-

(d) The board shall renew existing practitioners who, within a twelve month period following the effective date of this section have done one of the following: (1) completed 150 hours of continuing education as prescribed by the board; (2) passed the nation certification board for therapeutic massage and bodywork (NCBTMB) certification examination; or (3) is able to demonstrate that the applicant has been in active continuous practice of massage therapy for at least five years immediately preceding the effective date of this section.

It sounds like it's a way to play catch up to the new required hours, for people who have been practicing for less than 5 years. It seems though, that if you can pass the NCBTMB, that get's you around having to do the hours as well.

That is how I read it as well.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:09 pm

You are both correct. That is what I get for reading too fast :D . It is going to be interesting to see if this bill passes. Massachusetts just updated the education requirements last year.
JLWmassage

Postby Taoist on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:58 pm

JLWmassage wrote:You are both correct. That is what I get for reading too fast :D . It is going to be interesting to see if this bill passes. Massachusetts just updated the education requirements last year.

I do the same thing :)
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby simpleman on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:23 am

[quote][/quote]It sounds like it's a way to play catch up to the new required hours, for people who have been practicing for less than 5 years. It seems though, that if you can pass the NCBTMB, that get's you around having to do the hours as well.

Yes, NCBTMB would get you around it. I believe any therapist should be able to pass it. But, I went to a school that focused hugely on Anatomy, Muscle Structure and Function, etc. which is most of the test. I flopped on the eastern stuff (meridians and such) But, that was such a small part of the test it didn't matter. But, definitely any therapist that claims to be proficient in deep, rehab type massage should know the muscles, bones, and the origins, insertions and kinesiology required to pass NCB test. It's fairly basic stuff
simpleman
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Gotta love Gov;t knows best...
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:11 am

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ma-m ... ll-s00090/

Here is the link to the petition to stop the new bill in MA. from passing
JLWmassage

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics