NY State "Limited Permit" Status

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

NY State "Limited Permit" Status

Postby NYSinger on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:29 am

Namaste! <br><br>I had a quick question for any New Yorkers out there who might be able to help....<br><br>I will be graduating from the Finger Lakes School of Massage in June, but good old New York State doesn't offer its exam until August 25th.  I probably won't actually receive my license until late September or early October   :'(<br><br>In the meanwhile, was hoping to practice under New York State's "Limited Permit" provision, where therapists who have completed their 1,000 hour training but are still waiting for their license can work under a licensed supervisor as an employee.<br><br>Do any of you know of any spas, offices, or centers in the New York area that might be willing to hire employees under this arrangement?<br><br>Thanks!
NYSinger
Fresh Hands

Re: NY State "Limited Permit" Status

Postby Pandoras_Gift on Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:10 pm

I am a NYS licensed MT.  The way the permit works is that you can work after you graduate up till the date that you get your results, if you do not pass, you can not further work in NYS.  You need to get a supervising MT, PT, chiropractor, or MD to sign it in order for you to work, and they need to be on premesis while you are working.<br><br>You need to fully complete your paperwork, including the schools portion before the permit will be issued, so if your paperwork isn't complete you can't get it.  I would start cold calling places that you hope to be employed at and see if you can talk to the supervisor on staff about a month before you graduate.  You need a signature and license number from one of those listed above and $35 for your permit.  It will also take about a month to get the permit filed, so truthfully you can't work right away, so the sooner you get a supervisor the better.  Also don't count on getting the results of your exam till about the 2nd week in October.  I took the exam in January and I didn't get the results until March 9th and that will be the issuing date, not the date you took the exam.<br><br>I highly suggest that you file for the permit, if you can't get a supervisor to sign it, move on to somewhere else.  In NYS it is a felony and a $800 fine for the first offense if you are massaging without a license.  There have been a lot of crackdowns in my county and I was getting nervous because my boss didn't want the responsability of the "permit" and it should have sent up a red flag for me right there.  Now that I am licensed I am covered if there is a bust.  Also carry a copy of your permit with you at all times, and make sure that there is one posted at every location where you work, because if there isn't anything posted, that is a reason for a tipoff that it is an illegal location.<br><br>I know this is more than you asked for, but this is a lot of info that they dont' tell you when you are in school.  At least you are finishing in June, I finished in August, and had to wait till January for the exam!!!<br><br>So good luck, anything else you need to know, just ask!
love as always,
Muriel
Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member

Postby NYSinger on Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:49 am

Wow! Thanks for your detailed response.  It's really helpful<br><br>It's really wonderful how MT's support one another on this board.  It feels great to be entering profession with such a sense of mutual caring and respect.<br><br>Would you happen to have any suggestions about types of workplaces which might be willing to hire someone on a limited permit, employee-status arrangement right out of school?  Would higher-end NYC spas be out of the question?<br><br>Thanks again!<br>Dan
NYSinger
Fresh Hands

Postby Pandoras_Gift on Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:47 am

As I said, just start making phone calls and ask the supervisor don't just ask the receptioinist.  When I was looking for a job I looked online, and just opened up the phonebook. It all depends upon the place, and whether or not they are willing to do it.  Mainly because anything that may happen goes as a strike on that supervisors license.  The higher end spas might be able to do it moreso then a small location, because of the fact that whoever is supervising you must be onsite at all times.  I had the opportunity to work for a chiropractor, but he wasn't willing to pay well due to the status, and the responsabiliity on his license.  So it all depends.  I don't know what area you are from or where you are looking to work, so I don't know what is out there.  If they aren't willing to sign your permit, and still offer you a job, then definitely move on, because it isn't worth you losing any potential of getting your license, being arrested, and fined for you just waiting out your time.<br><br>So, just make the calls, and ask.  There isn't any harm in that.  <br><br>Good luck!
love as always,
Muriel
Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics