Looking for a CEU for Cancer & Massage...

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

Massage_kneads_me
Registered Member

Looking for a CEU for Cancer & Massage...

Post by Massage_kneads_me » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:44 am

I have several people in the last year that I know who have been diagnosed with different types of cancer - some who have recovered - some who are still fighting. That has led me to start looking at a CEU related to this field. I've seen a couple courses already - one on this forum - but looks like I'm a little late for that one. Those who have taken different Oncology massage courses - could you list the CEU course and your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Ahimsa
Registered Member

Post by Ahimsa » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:52 pm

I would say any class you can find by Gayle MacDonald is what you should sign up for. I'm not sure what part of the country you are in, but she does classes all over the US throughout the year.

I haven't taken her class yet (I had to wait for the one in October as the one here in April was already filled), but I have had the opportunity to meet Gayle and hear her give a talk with Q&A on Oncology massage. She is a wonderful lady, and basically wrote the protocols for Oncology massage. I know here in Phoenix you won't even be considered for hire at any of the hospitals that offer it unless you have taken Gayle's classes.

You can check out her website with 2007 schedule at http://www.medicinehands.com.

Good luck!

swarren07
Registered Member

Post by swarren07 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:55 am

Have you thought about classes in Healing Touch? Just a thought.
We only get one chance at this thing called life; Relax and live it well!

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:50 am

My office mate took Gayle's courses her in the NW, and she has said repeatedly that they were outstanding.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

lecontefairy
Registered Member

Post by lecontefairy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:33 pm

I have taken one of Gayle's classes and feel comfortable giving a one hour massage to someone who has cancer, and is undergoing different types of treatment. The class was Massage for People Living With Cancer, it was also a very healing experience for me. Her book, Medicine Hands is also very informative.

LeContefairy

Massage_kneads_me
Registered Member

Post by Massage_kneads_me » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:15 am

Thanks everyone for your replies - I looked into Gayle's course and there is one offered in September near my area. So I'm going to start saving - it's further away from me...so there will be extra cost involved like a hotel room. I want to feel comfortable giving a massage to someone with cancer. I believe everyone deserves the right to be touched and valued. And cancer can be such an isolating disease. I wish Gayle was the actual teacher of the course - but I am sure she has hired capable teachers to represent her course. Or I could wait until she is closer to my area (Scotland is a little far HAHA!)

I tried to do some research on healing touch - I've found some articles on it - but I haven't found a description of the course yet. From what I gather it involves energy work - but it's not exactly like Reiki according to one article. I'll keep looking...thanks for the suggestion.

alohatexas
Fresh Hands

Post by alohatexas » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:18 pm

Gayle is supposed to be coming to Texas in January 2008. Not sure if that's near you or not.
Hakuna Matata~

Massage_kneads_me
Registered Member

Post by Massage_kneads_me » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:54 am

There is finally a course close to me - so I'm now registered. I just have to wait until April...sigh! I chose to go with the Gayle McDonald course - of course it will be taught by one of her instructors. Then in the Summer I plan to do the 5-day intensive if all works out well! I'm so excited!!!! :jiggy: :woohoo: :smt026

Return to “CEU's”