Oatmeal

Get healthy! "Green" Living and Nutrition discussions here.

Moderator: riversinger

Postby Fusion1 on Wed May 03, 2006 5:40 am

Whole Foods market = high prices. I will go there today I hope it's not $4.00 / lb for Steel Cut Oats.
Fusion1
Registered Member

Postby Fusion1 on Thu May 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Like I suspected most Publix don't even carry it here. I found one place after 5 others that didn't have it and they had the 1.5# and it was $2.68.

Yesterday I called the Granary for their bulk Steel Cut Oats and they wanted a whopping $8.99/pound!!!!

Today I called Richard's Whole Foods and they charged $0.59/pound for the same thing the Granary was charging $8.99/#. Needless to say I asked the girl @ Richard's how much she had. Their display thing was a small plastic container that maybe holds 5#. She went in the back and came out with a 50# bag that was only 2/5 full as it weighed out at 23#. I got a 20% discount on that so I was glad I finally found something I was looking for and didn't get price gouged in the process.

Thanks everyone this stuff tastes great!
Fusion1
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Those are crazy prices. At the co-op we pay some ridiculously low price per pound for organic steel cut oats. Do you have any little natural health food stores in your area with a bulk section?
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby massagengel on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:41 pm

I always slice up some fresh strawberries, sooo yummy in oatmeal!! it's funny, since I have been in scotland I haven't had any... and they say it is really good here :P Now I want some oatmeal!
lol
*·¸.·´¨¨)) -:¦:- *·¸.·´-:¦:-
-:¦:-·´Massagengel .·´-`\'.·
((¸¸.·´*..·´ -:¦:- *·¸.·´))*
massagengel
Registered Member

Postby shivashiva on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 pm

One of my favorite ways to cook oatmeal without using brown sugar is this: Cook normally with water. When it's done, add Edensoy EdenBlend until it's the consistency you like, then add salt and roasted seame seeds to taste.

I roast my own sesame seeds. Just put them in the pan and shake the pan around until they turn darker brown and start to pop. Have a lid handy so they don't fly everywhere. Also careful that they don't burn. Then when they're done just mortar and pestle em to release the oils and flavor. Yum! I make up a batch and store it in the fridge.

You can choose your own soymilk/ricemilk, but I really think the EdenBlend gives the best flavor for this oatmeal recipe. Not to sweet, not too bland either.

If you want it sweeter, cook bananas in your oatmeal so that the bananas get cooked too. That goes well with the sesame seeds and salt.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Re: Oatmeal

Postby Rozax on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:03 pm

I love oatmeal! My favorite brand is Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. My typical recipe includes a small apple, craisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, with an egg tempered in. I might make that for supper, now...
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I have largely eliminated grains, including oats, from my diet. Steel-cut oats are the only ones I would buy, but now I prefer quinoa.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:55 am

Steel cut oats are definitely a cut above more processed forms of oats... but these days I've moved up to whole oat berries!

They are super easy to cook in a fuzzy logic rice cooker (I use a Zojirushi on the brown rice setting, you'll need to experiment to find the right ratio of oats to water... I use a 1/2 measure of oats in the measuring cup that came with the cooker, and eyeball water up to 3/4 of the first brown rice marking on the inside of the cookpot).

Not only are they more whole than the steel cut oats, it's way easier to clean the rice cooker's nonstick pot than it was to scrub the crockpot I was using for the steel cut oats.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby pueppi on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:07 pm

"Like"! @ EgoMagickian !!!!!! YUM!
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby holley on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:47 pm

"There's essentially no difference in the fiber or nutrient content of rolled and steel-cut oats" - Diabetic Gourmet Magazine

The only difference is in how they are processed. Steel cut oats are chopped into little pieces, whereas rolled oats are steam-softened and then flattened. Steel cut oats provide a chewier, denser textured oatmeal, but take longer to cook - usually an overnight soaking.

Choosing between the two is a matter of personal taste preference. A nice in-between alternative is a "thick" rolled oat, usually available in the bulk aisles of natural food stores like Wild Oats.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Nutrition and Natural Living