Nutrition and Fatigue

Get healthy! "Green" Living and Nutrition discussions here.

Moderator: riversinger

Nutrition and Fatigue

Postby Masthera on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:04 pm

Does anyone know of foods that are helpful with combating fatigue?<br><br>Also does anyone know of any healthy snacks (protein) that are easy to eat between clients (when you only have 5 mins) or that are easy to take with you (no refrigeration) that won't increase your waistline?<br><br>Thanks!<br>
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Re: Nutrition and Fatigue

Postby SpiritedJen on Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:09 pm

You know what's good? Those nutri-grain bars. I think they are from Kelloggs? There is a strawberry cheesecake one that is darn good.  I think they have somewhere around 7grams of fat.
~*Jen*~
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller
www.spiritedawaymassage.abmp.com
SpiritedJen
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Guess I gotta go with almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds?<br>I sometimes will carry a small lunch bag including freezer pack with a hard boiled egg and of course lots of cold water to rehydrate me between sessions.<br>If one wasn't worried about the salt... I suppose beef jerky might be useful... though cost might be an issue.<br>There are of course, Power Bar type things... *shrug* I always liked the Luna Bars in Lemon Zest or Key Lime Pie. *shrug*<br>And Lots of Water. LOL
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby merlescuz on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:58 pm

Our vending machine at work has all natural Gorp-like packages amidst the 3 Musketeers and corn chips. Basically, it's a mix of nuts, seeds and raisins or banana chips to give a little sweetness. It would be pretty easy to purchase quantities of these items and mix some up at home, but I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that kind of thing. <br>One package fills me up pretty well and gets my energy up without the sugar crash afterward, and without too much fat.
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com
merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby nybor7 on Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:22 pm

Does anyone know of foods that are helpful with combating fatigue?

Also does anyone know of any healthy snacks (protein) that are easy to eat between clients (when you only have 5 mins) or that are easy to take with you (no refrigeration) that won't increase your waistline?

Thanks!

Back from my Atkins and SB and other diet days.....
cheese wedges(laughing cow), string cheese, tomatoes and mozz(cut up in a baggie) handful of nuts, half a PB&J, the "bars"(edge, pria,  zone etc)
trail mix.

Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

Postby Seattlesunshine on Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:06 pm

Turkey Jerky . And a second vote for wheat bread with low fat peanut butter.  Just a half  will really fill you.  If you can take a tiny insolauted lunch sack then you could have boiled eggs, or  small container cottage cheese with some yougart.  I am a big believer in mixing your protein with high quality carbs. And of course the more volume the food has the fuller you will feel. I get super hypoglycimic (sp?) if I don't eat something every 4 hours or so. I do like all the bar type things but try not to have them to often because of the sugar and hydorgenated fats.  Its tough to be creative though. I'm looking forward to what ideas you all have on this subject. I get tired of the same ole same ole.
Seattlesunshine
Registered Member

Postby sagetherapist on Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:00 pm

I buy my daughter mini bagels & sometime snatch on for myself with peanut butter. Very filling. In the past when I had clients booked with little time in between, I'd just pack a great sandwich, but cut it into quarters, so I could 'graze on it'. There are some great nutriceutical shakes out there, add milk in a shaker cup & drink it. If you have a fridge, you could store the milk & add frozen strawberries or a frozen banana half & blend it. I have an awesome mini blender from WalMart that serves as the drinking cup too. When I do have the time, but don't need a fastfood meal's calories & junk, I bring soup & make it in the microwave. If you don't make your own, buy a can with a pop top, etc.<br><br>Sometimes I go all day without eating & I really regret it later. I get all uppity & cranky, sometimes have a lower blood sugar-like feeling (sweaty, shaky). I try to plan ahead so it doesn't happen. Perfect world, you know?<br><br>Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Texas-gal on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:22 am

I have an awesome mini blender from WalMart that serves as the drinking cup too.
<br><br>Tell more more about this blender!  :)
Texas-gal

Postby Masthera on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:01 am

I am not a big fan of nuts.  Peanuts are about it.  I have tried eating them before as a snack but, I get sick of them quickly.  I do love peanut butter though!

Smoothies would be great at times if they weren't gritty tasting.  Anyone know of some that pack some protein, are low in sugar, and aren't gritty.

I get hypogycemic also and I get bored with the same old snacks.  But, I have to have something.  Wouldn't want to be passing out on a client! ;)

I'll have to check out the other suggestions.

Jill, is this the blender you are talking about?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3611642

Keep the ideas going.  Thanks!
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Postby StressSolutions on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:26 am

Lets see, shake/smoothie that has protein?  www.choices4u.net and look for Transitions.  Tell her I sent you :)

Energy...you might consider a B12 supplement, actually, all the B vitamins should help fight fatigue.  This is not the link that I really like, but it is ok.  

http://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care ... iency.html

And, you can get a good one from the link above.
StressSolutions

Postby sagetherapist on Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:25 pm

No, that's a very expensive version of it. When I get back to work I'll see what exactly it's called. It cost about 12 or 14 bucks.<br><br>Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Masthera on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:45 am

Lets see, shake/smoothie that has protein?  www.choices4u.net and look for Transitions.  Tell her I sent you  <br>
<br><br>I looked at the label for this product and it has Splenda in it.<br>I try to avoid all artificial sweeteners since they send my intestinal tract into a fit.  Splenda being one of them. :(<br>  <br>
- Henry Ford
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Postby sagetherapist on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:41 am

Its made by Hamilton Beach, but it doesn't say anything else on it! ha. I'll find out more on my next WalMart trip. Sorry.<br>Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby mush on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:30 pm

how about edamame in a thermal bag? <br><br>i think it's soy protein? <br><br>
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005
mush
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:31 pm

I looked at the label for this product and it has Splenda in it.
I try to avoid all artificial sweeteners since they send my intestinal tract into a fit.  Splenda being one of them. :(

Yes, artificial sweetners are bad, they say that Splenda is not as bad as most, but if it gives your guts a bad time, it is not worth considering.  

Did you see the transitions bars?  I think they primarily have the sugar alcohols....how do they treat you?
StressSolutions

Postby palpable on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:41 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the deal with Splenda? It is "made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar" ??? Why not use sugar?<br><br>Now back on topic: Have you tried any of the juices such as Naked Juice? They sell them at Whole Foods and I have seen them at other natural food stores as well. They are usually around $3 a bottle, but you can get various kinds like protien drinks, green drinks (with spirulina, spinach, etc. it looks funky but tastes Mmmm good) or immunity boosters. Carrot-ginger juice is my personal favorite for a pick-me up.
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute
palpable
Registered Member

Postby merlescuz on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:42 am

Whole Foods got their idea from a company called "Fresh Samantha" which was AWESOME!! They had a spirulina energy drink that was better than coffee (well, almost). Sadly, they were bought by another company (Odwalla) that I don't think is as good. <br>I haven't tried the Whole Foods version yet. The idea of spending $3.00 for a drink is "hard to swallow" after a while.<br>BTW, I have heard of a couple of sweeteners that are not sugar and not chemical. Stevia and agave nectar are both supposed to have lower glycemic levels, so you don't get the sugar rush; and they are not carcinogenic. <br>Oh, AND.... agave nectar is from the same cactus that tequila originates from....sweeeeeeet..... ;D
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com
merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby Masthera on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:02 am

how about edamame in a thermal bag?  
 We had soy beans growing in the field next to us and tried them out before they dried.  They are pretty tasty.

Did you see the transitions bars?  I think they primarily have the sugar alcohols....how do they treat you?
 Not sure about these.  I don't know if I have had anything with sugar alcohols.  I'll have to see if I can find something small with the alcohols in it and try it out.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the deal with Splenda? It is "made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar"  Why not use sugar?
 From what I have read Splenda is sugar with a chlorine molecule added so your body doesn't digest the sugar.  Not too appealing if you ask me.  

http://www.janethull.com/newsletter/070 ... -again.php

I'll have to check out some of the "Natural" food stores around and see what I can find.  It has been a while since I have been in any of them.  The drinks sound yummy!  

What is stevia? A shrub native to Paraguay, used for over 1500 years by the native Guarani Indians. A herb with an abundance of positive effects. The whole leaf contains numerous phytonutrients and trace minerals and is much sweeter than sugar with out negative effects. It can sweeten any drink with no calories, no carbohydrates, no tooth decay and is diabetic safe. Stevia nourishes the pancreas and does not raise blood glucose levels, making it not only safe for diabetics but also beneficial. Since there are no calories or carbohydrates, stevia is an excellent weight loss aid. It does not contains the negative side effects reported with the use of artificial sweeteners including aspartame. Adding stevia to your diet on a regular basis, it has also been reported that it can help minimize hunger sensations, cravings for sweets or fatty foods, aide in digestion, decrease hypertension without effecting normal blood pressure, stabilize blood glucose levels, shorten recovery time from cold and flu and aide in addictions to tobacco and alcohol. When used in toothpaste or mouthwash, cavities and gum disease is reduced due to its antibacterial properties.

Just a little something I found on Stevia

Thanks for all your ideas!  Very helpful!
- Henry Ford
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:26 pm

I went to a nutritionist (bartered!) for ideas on how to control sugar cravings, get enough protein and still be able to eat on the run. Here's some of her suggestions (they are for snacks, breakfast and lunch):<br><br>+ Hummus and greens sandwich in a pita - cut it in half and wrap each in foil/plastic/paper - eat one half at a time<br>+ Bagel with cream cheese (I like yogurt and cream cheese blends) with a slice of your fave cheese (adds protein), cut into four pieces for easier snacking<br>+ Yogurt Tubes & a banana/other fruit - freeze in the box, take a tube with you and eat in a semi-frozen state, yum!<br>+ Cheese quesadilla - perfect to slice into wedges and eat one wedge at a time<br>+ Hummus and carrots<br>+ Sandwich wedges - your favorite sandwich (grilled cheese, peanut butter, BLT), cut into four smaller squares for snacking<br><br>If I remember some others I'll post again. It was really great having this nutritionist analyze what I was eating - we did a diet log for a week - and then suggest items that I was interested in. I'm a vegetarian so protein is always something I'm watching. I also like to carry two flavors of my favorite protein bar (I like Luna) in the bottom of my handbag, it's nice to have them there in case of a craving.  :)
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby hndpict1020 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Odwalla makes some really good products.  They have protein drinks and also bars.  I like the superfood drink the most.  The drinks run about $3 a pop, but well worth it.<br><br>I have also taken Living Energy supplements.  They are mostly greens.  Very energizing.
~SARAH~
hndpict1020
Registered Member

Postby Graci on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:03 am

I think that Dragonflies has it right with the Nutritionist route  ;D<br><br>The Chiropractors that I worked for are also Nutritionists. I heard all of those same suggestions from them. ;)<br><br>They also sell nutrition bars or Gluco-supprt bars, that everyone in the office was "hooked" on for a while, including the Doctor. I forget the exact name ( I can get it if anyone is interested) but they tase great and come in several different flavors. The office favorite was crispy rice, which is chocolate (or Karob actually). - They are filled with more vitamins and minerals than you'll find in the grocery store bar. I think they were like 12g protein / B12 and other good stuff.<br><br>He also recomends Greensfirst, by Doctors for Nutrition. It's a powder that is mixed with water. Gives a good boost and counts for 10 servings of veggies. I wouldn't replace my leafy greens with it, but it's a nice "pick-me-up". Tastes like Green Tea.<br><br>Long story short, seeing a Nutritionist can be a great option if you have the time and money or maybe can make a trade connection like Dragonflies. If notheing else, try to find those yummy gluco-support bars. :-*
Life may not be the party we hoped for,
but while we are here, we might as well dance!!!

Enjoy the journey...
Graci
Registered Member

Postby Masthera on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:46 am

I agree about seeing a nutritionist.  I have thought about it, but honestly have never looked into it.

He also recomends Greensfirst, by Doctors for Nutrition. It's a powder that is mixed with water. Gives a good boost and counts for 10 servings of veggies. I wouldn't replace my leafy greens with it, but it's a nice "pick-me-up". Tastes like Green Tea.

This sounds really tasty! :)  Glad to see that it doesn't have bee pollen in it.  I had a really bad reaction to a multivitamin once since I am allergic.

He's a link if anyone else is interested:
http://www.greensfirst.com/ingredients2.htm
- Henry Ford
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Postby sagetherapist on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:05 pm

Has anyone ever purchased this greens First before? They don't seem to provide the price or anything on the site. I am interested in it, but am shy to fill out their free sample form. I don't want any big sales pitch schpiel.<br><br>Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Masthera on Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:17 am

Jill,<br>I went ahead and asked for the sample package.  I didn't include my phone number just wrote "no calls please" on the line and I figure if they send aggressive email, I should have the option to unsubscribe.<br><br>I'll let you know what I end up with.
- Henry Ford
Masthera
Retired Site Admin

Next

Return to Nutrition and Natural Living