aspartame

Get healthy! "Green" Living and Nutrition discussions here.

Moderator: riversinger

aspartame

Postby Melody on Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:34 am

This past year. I have started to notice signs of aspartame poisoning in my clients who use a lot of it. I first noticed it in a young woman who started coming to me last year. The first time that I worked on her I noticed that she had a twitching in her extremities and her spine moved under my hands in a constant wave motion. It kinda freaked me out. I instantly knew that it was because of the nutrasweet she was ingesting. (Don't ask me how I knew. I just knew. I often get a word of knowledge that way.) I didn't talk to her about it right away because it was her first massage and I didn't want to alarm her. I wanted it to be a positive experience. I didn't tell her the next time I saw her either. But the third time I saw her, I felt comfortable bringing it up. I found out that she was drinking 6-8 cans of diet soda a day. Yikes! I told her what I had felt and asked her to switch to water and juice. After a month, I noticed an improvement. After six months, the only thing I noticed was a twitch in her right hand and after a year now, she seems fine.<br><br>Since I first detected it in that one client, I have been more aware of it in other clients who use nutrasweet. Most recently I noticed it in a client who chews sugar free gum constantly. I gave him a list of gums that do not yet contain aspartame. (Not an easy thing to do, considering the fact that Wriggly's has even started putting it in their sugar based gums.) I hope he makes the switch.<br><br>Have any of you noticed this phenomenon in your clients?<br><br>-Melody
Melody
Registered Member

Re: aspartame

Postby jswoellert on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 pm

I know aspartame is bad, but remember we are just MTs and we can't diagnose....
jswoellert
Fresh Hands

Postby WholyCow on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:42 pm

Well it's not a question of prescribing or diagnosing. We are suppose to notice these sort of things. Ask questions acknowledge changes in appearance, behaviour and health, and we are to listen and observe. The only thing we can't do is tell the client out right, "you have aspartame reactions." You can say something like, "it appears you might be having reactions to the aspartame. Why don't we just try taking away the aspartame in your foods and see where that goes." I see it as a fine line between recognizing a potential cause of a possible problem. It's more a health thing and we are allowed to discuss it. If we feel there is something that needs medical attention like a suspicious lump, that we can't tell them whether it's a tumor or some fatty deposits. We have to let them know they have a lump, if they have not gotten it checked out, you must determine whether you feel it could be a health concern for them. Everything that changes in a patient's health can potentially change the way you need to work on them in the future.  :-/<br><br><br>Well that's what I do with my clients. I do talk about their eating habits and I do need to recognise what should change. A doctor might not notice something like a reaction to aspartame.  ;)
www.wholycow.com - now updated with a now look!

www.doggiebagonline.com/forum/
WholyCow
Fresh Hands

Postby Tricima on Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:13 pm

I suggest to my clients that they see their doctor for anything I notice or they complain about that is beyond my realm of practice.

I do remember this scare.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/aspartame.asp
Tricima
Fresh Hands

Postby Pandoras_Gift on Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:25 pm

I am just curious as to how you found out about this since I have never heard of it and now you have gotten me curious.  I myself am a Diet Coke addict... I will admit to it, I know it is true, and I can't kick the habit.
love as always,
Muriel

Site Admin

http://www.rockland-massage.com
Pandoras_Gift
Registered Member

Postby Melody on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:11 pm

I started researching aspartame when it was first introduced because I had an immediate allergic reaction to it.

When I was 13, I had allergy tests done and the doctor told me that among other things, I was allergic to formaldahyde. I asked the doctor, "Isn't formaldahyde poisonous to everyone?" He said, "Yes, but you are allergic to it." I didn't mind because it kept me from having to disect frogs in biology. :-)

Well, when I researched aspartame, I found out that it breaks down into formaldahyde in your body, and that's why I was allergic to nutrasweet.

My husband's sister has been feeding her family nutra-sweet in everything from soda to icecream and jello for years. She now has lupus, and her daughter has tourettes syndrome.

A video has been made that explains the dangers of aspartame. It's called "Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World" I would highly recommend it to all of you who are concerned about nutrasweet.

http://www.wnho.net/sweet_misery_movie.htm

If you have more questions about this subject, please send me a message and I will reply to you personally. In this thread, I was just wanting to find out if any of you had experienced this when you were doing massage. I didn't want to get into a debate over nutrasweet. I know it can be a very emotional subject.

-Melody
Melody
Registered Member

Postby Jackiegirl on Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:42 am

My Neurology instructor had us do a rather lengthy study on how aspartame effects the nervous system.<br>It is pretty scary and I haven't touched the stuff since...
Jackiegirl

Postby Tricima on Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:25 am

In the 15-16 years I've practiced massage, I have seen and heard many symptoms, but I would never venture a guess as to what the cause is.  The client's welfare is my first priority and I stress that they see their doctor since I am not able to determine if their symptoms could be serious or life threatening.  There are many factors that could be causing their symptoms and many symptoms could be life threatening.<br><br>I had a client who had an unusual redness with bumps, almost like warts on and around his knees.  He originally thought he was allergic to something.  I suggested he see his doctor and would skip over his knees during massage since I had no idea what was going on in his body.  He went to his doctor who had no idea what it was and sent him to a Dermatologist.  That doctor did have an idea and ran tests.  It turned out the client's Cholesterol level was extremely high.  He was exhibiting very rare symptoms and was written up in a medical journal.  This man appeared healthy, he was thin, active and was aware of his diet. Had this man not gone to his doctor, he may not be here today.<br><br>I would not continue to work with someone who ignores their symptoms and doesn't get themselves checked out with their doctor.  
Tricima
Fresh Hands

Postby Melody on Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:23 am

I totally understand the need to refer clients to their doctor for diagnosis and treatment. There is no question here about that. Unfortunately, most doctors do not acknowledge aspartame as a neurotoxin because it has been "approved". <br><br>I've seen the effects. I know what it does. And I would be remiss if I didn't tell my clients my observations and urge them to stop eating the stuff.<br><br>-Melody
Melody
Registered Member

Postby IntuitiveHealers on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Melody, I agree with you completely on this. aspartame, sucralose and all artificial sweeteners are toxic.  >:(<br><br>I agree with your sentiments on sharing information with clients as well. As health practitioners, it is important that we encourage our clients to continually move towards better choices to balance health and wellness. Part of this involves sugesting that they see their medical professional (often a doctor) when any issue comes up. Another important part of this is to share whatever we have learned about health and holistic healing. <br><br>We are not doctors; that being said, since most medical doctors have 4 hours or less (yes, that's right! 4 hours or LESS) of training on nutrition out of thousands and thousands of hours of training it is a scary thought indeed to expect the doctor (nearly viewed as GOD by some in western society) to steer them towards healthier nutritional and lifestyle choices.<br><br>In addition to being a Nationally certified Massage Therapist, I have several hundred documented hours of nutrition training, am a master Herbalist, a reiki Master, a certified Doula, a certified Yoga Instructor,  a licensed Holistic Health Practitioner and in addition to this, all areas of holistic health are a passion of mine that I study daily. <br><br>I attend workshops, read medical journals, am on mailing lists to receive newsletters from many doctors who specialize in healing with nutrition and natural organic living and I review these on a daily basis. <br><br>When working with clients, I may I consult with a Medical Doctor, Ayurvedic Physician, Doctor of Chiropractic, a Naturopathic Doctor and a Doctor of Chinese Medicine in addition to using my intuition and extensive training  to assist my clients in their healing. <br><br>I would never hold back on sharing the benefits of my research in these areas when I can see it may help. I don't diagnose. Before anything is shared, I remind clients that I am not a medical doctor and that it is best to check with thier own doctor in regards to their personal health.  Even when I work as a medical intuitive I am clear that I offer what I am guided to share and that one must always check in with thier licensed medical professional or visit others who make up my team who are also licensed professionals to make the choices that serve thier highest good.
Blessings and Be well!
IntuitiveHealers
Registered Member

Postby jenny_nebeker on Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:09 pm

I read in a newsletter my  mom gave me, that there are many reported cases of soldiers who went over during Desert storm, who are having many terrible side effects of the pop they drank due to the aspartme being heated up in the sun. The company won't admit that there are problems with it, but there are. After I read it, I stopped drinking any drinks with it in. I don't want to  take the chance. If I can find the report, I will put it on here.
jenny_nebeker
Registered Member

Postby dodab on Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:38 am

Here's a link about the aspartame controversy and the Iraq war. Hope this helps

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/12/rums ... artame.htm

http://www.mercola.com/blog/2004/dec/10 ... _us_troops
"Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way.
But must accept his lot calmly if they even roll a few more upon it." Albert Schweitzer
dodab
Registered Member

Postby Jon_O on Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:41 am

There was an article in the Alive magazine, a Canadian publication about natural health.  The basic point they made was that aspartame could induce symptoms that appeared like MS.  Here's a link to the article

http://alivepublishing.com/home/index.p ... &take_id=6

As massage therapists we do not diagnose, but we can assess!  If you see anything in your client that rings alarm bells in your head, then you have an obligation to say something.  Even just go see a Dr about this.  Do you not suggest they drink more water, if their intake is low?  Do you suggest stretches for postural adaptations?
"for instant relief, try slowing down" (Lily Tomlin)

Jon O
Jon_O
Registered Member

Postby Melody on Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:45 am

That's a great article Jon_O. I'm printing it out and saving the website to peruse later.<br><br>-Melody
Melody
Registered Member

Postby Intuitouch on Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:06 am

Good question Melody.  Yes, I have seen reactions to aspartame in my clients.  One in particular liked to drink diet Coke with lime, minimally 6 cans a day.  He was suffering from daily migraine and cluster headaches.  I shared the info I had about aspartame.  He cut out the diet coke completely and the migraines reduced immediately.  He doesn't drink diet coke w/lime anymore!<br><br>I agree wholeheartedly with you.  I was taught by the massage school's Nutrition Instructor that it breaks down into methanol which then breaks down into formaldehyde in the body.  It is incredibly poisonous.<br><br>I also give my clients the statement that I am not a medical doctor and that I do not diagnose, however, I am also bright and able to assess things that require their attention.  I feel it is imperative that I share what I know in a way that allows them the information and a way to verify what I'm telling them so they can discuss it with their doctors.  <br><br>Intuitive Healer -- you are sooo right in this statement:<br>
We are not doctors; that being said, since most medical doctors have 4 hours or less (yes, that's right! 4 hours or LESS) of training on nutrition out of thousands and thousands of hours of training it is a scary thought indeed to expect the doctor (nearly viewed as GOD by some in western society) to steer them towards healthier nutritional and lifestyle choices.
<br><br>I see massage therapy as the beginning of a journey into wellness for most people.  It is important to share information with people and encourage them to research it themselves.  
~ A Hunch is Creativity Trying to Tell You Something~
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby sagetherapist on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:47 am

I think you should indeed share these things, but if you are not a nutritionist, or otherwise licensed, couldn't you just frankly say what you are noting & give them a copy of one of the articles you have read, etc? On the specific subject of aspartame, I think it is one of the vilest things we can offer our bodies to eat/drink. Its even in some over the counter meds that people use. We never seem to read those labels when we want symptomatic hayfever relief, etc. The only reason why I would err cautionary is that no matter how you phrase it ("please remember, I'm not a medical doctor.. I'm not licensed to diagnose", etc), your clients do see you as an authority figure when it comes to their body's health.<br><br>Jill/Sagetherapist
sagetherapist
Registered Member

Postby Jen on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:36 am

This is a great topic and one that I'm glad was brought up. My mom was what she considered a healthnut and raised her daughters on skim milk, fat-free products, sugar-free sodas, and no butter on anything. While I believe she went overboard from the time I was an infant until I was grown/gone from home, I think she thought she was doing the best she could as a mother with the knowledge (or ignorance) she possessed at the time.  Now if you try to tell her/show her the studies that have been found on all the lab chemicals in our foods and how they end up doing more harm than good, she replies in a denial mood and can only be categorized as someone who is "too old to change their ways". <br>Interesting test was done to compare margarine and butter. Place a tub of each out in the sun for several hours. The flies wouldn't go near the margarine but were all over the butter. When heated, margarine is literally one molecule away from the chemical make-up of plastic. <br>Needless to say, I eat only what comes from the ground and not what comes from a lab (butter vs. margarine, real sugar in my drinks/foods vs. nutrasweet or aspartame, fresh produce instead of canned veggies/fruit, etc.). All I can hope is that the first 18-20 years of my life living on pharmaceutical-enriched foods didn't affect my nervous system, muscles, brain, etc. enough to do longterm damage. <br><br>Be well,<br>Jen
Jen
Registered Member

Postby Melody on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:51 am

Just as we were taught that margarine was the "healthy alternative" to butter, this generation is being taught that diet sodas are the healthy alternative. My daughter took a Life Skills class in middle school. All of the literature urges children to drink diet soda and chew sugar free gum as the healthy alternative to sugared drinks and candy. <br><br>My daughter is like... "Hello?!! It's a NeuRoToXiN!"<br><br>She has become quite the activist at school. She is so persistent with her friends that they now come to her to have their lunches "Candice Approved". :-D<br><br>Do you think that in the future "Wholesome and Natural" will ever be considered healthy? Why is that so complicated? Seems only logical to me.<br><br>-Melody
Melody
Registered Member

Postby Intuitouch on Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:38 am

I can remember having this same discussion regarding margerine -vs- butter with my Mom in the early '80's.  <br><br>There is just so much advertising done by the "big boys" telling everyone that "better living by pharmaceuticals" is the "way" to go!  The only way to counter this is educating one client at a time and hope they will do the research necessary to know what is the truth.
~ A Hunch is Creativity Trying to Tell You Something~
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby Gaspen on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks for this thread. I remember when aspartame was originally released/ok'd by the FDA and the negative press surrounding it.<br><br>I client of mine suffers severe headaches not associated with any other contra. I just email her the links supplied above and asked her to consider their content. I don't think she will cease her consumption, but who knows...
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com
Gaspen
Registered Member

Postby CaringHandsMss on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:03 pm

I remember in my introductory classes in Nutrition in Massage School this topic was presented to us by our Instructor.  He actually is studying it more in depth and writing on the subject PRETTY EXTENSIVELY.  For a long time never did Diet Soda find its way into me......Since then I have fallen into Diet Soda Drinking again...I need to stop it!!!  It is NOT GOOD for ANYONE and I need to find the Self-Control to stop it again!!!<br>Sincerely,<br>CaringHandsMss :)
CaringHandsMss
Retired Moderator

Postby nybor7 on Sun May 01, 2005 6:05 am

I am just curious as to how you found out about this since I have never heard of it and now you have gotten me curious.  I myself am a Diet Coke addict... I will admit to it, I know it is true, and I can't kick the habit.

Hi, my name is Robyn and I am an addict.......

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one.

I have heard about the rumors for years.  I'm sure there are some dangers in it.  There is in everything.  I even think(help me Canadians) that it may be banned in Canada?

I have tried to cut it out...promise......I know it's the caffeine more than the nutrisweet that I am addicted to.

Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina
nybor7
Registered Member

http://www.asRobyn it might not be the caffeine...

Postby Melody on Sun May 01, 2005 6:41 am

http://www.aspartame.ca/page_a13.html<br><br>Aspartame is a very addictive drug, methanol is classified as a narcotic. Check out the above link.<br><br>-Melody<br>
Melody
Registered Member

Postby twoggle on Mon May 02, 2005 4:28 pm

I client of mine suffers severe headaches not associated with any other contra.

A better link specifically for aspartame and migraines/headaches is:

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/ab ... raine.html

I spoke recently with a bodyworker and speech therapist who works with children. She was hoping to create little flyers / articles for her clients' parents. Articles related to nutrition and various other subjects. I think that is one possible way to go -- have articles or a newsletter available for clients on various subjects.

Here are some other links for resources on this subject:

1) Summary & Recent Research

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/summary.html

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html

2) Statement by a Former FDA Investigator/Scientist

http://www.wnho.net/aspartameletter.htm

3) Transcribed Statements by Physicians & Indepdent Scientists

http://www.dorway.com/doctors.html

http://www.dorway.com/symptoms.html

4) Review of Research and Results as Related to Funding Scources

http://www.dorway.com/peerrev.html

5) Scientific Articles

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/aspfaq.html

6) Aspartame Poisoning Case Reports (Samples)

http://www.presidiotex.com/aspartame/Vi ... ictims.htm

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/adverse.txtl

7) Flyers (somewhat aggressive)

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/flyers/

8) Physicians & Scientists for Responsible Application of Science & Tech.

http://www.psrast.org/aspartame.htm

9) UK Additives Organization: Aspartame Overview for Health Professionals

http://www.additivesout.org.uk/

(click on aspartame link on left of page)

10) Healthier Sweetener Resources

http://www.stevia.net/

http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/

11) Aspartame Discussion Group

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartame/
twoggle
Fresh Hands

Postby Whole Life Massage on Tue May 03, 2005 5:31 am

I have known about aspartame for years, and ever since i found out about it i have 1) avoided it 2) let everyone i know about it (especially my mom- i say, do you know what you are drinking- FORMALDEHYDE) 3)i tell everyone that i meet about it- if they are consuming a product that contains it. i always say "it turns to formadehyde in your body, they use that to embalm us- that cant be good for you." something like that. the stuff is nasty. stay away from diet and low fat/ fat free products.
~ C a r r i e A s h w o r t h ~
www.carrieashworth.com
www.wholelifemassage.com
Whole Life Massage
Registered Member

Next

Return to Nutrition and Natural Living