New Requirements (750) +

Discussion of topics relating to National Certification, the NCBTMB (Board) and the NCETMB (Examination).

Moderators: stonegirl, JaeMarie

New Requirements (750) +

Postby jdcan on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:09 am

Has everyone seen the new requirements for recertification?

Looks like some people may need to play catch-up to remain certified.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=781 ... 448a5d68d3
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: New Requirements (750) +

Postby JasonE on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:01 am

jdcan wrote:Has everyone seen the new requirements for recertification?

Looks like some people may need to play catch-up to remain certified.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=781 ... 448a5d68d3

I wonder how many people will have any difficulty with this. If they've been keeping up on their CE requirements, it should be no problem.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby squash_blsm on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 am

The 750 is supposed to include CE.
However if you are already renewed your certification before Jan 1 then you are okay as long as you meet the additional requirements before your next re-certification.

Hmmm...I let my certification lapse in January.
Didn't see the need to spend more money...on top of my other licenses and insurance. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me!
Surprised they didn't contact me though since I HAD been certified for almost 10yrs.

I think that they are still trying to get EVERY state to accept NCTM as requirement for their licensing.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby JLWmassage on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:20 am

MMM very interesting! They went from 500 - 750. So what happens to states that have less than 750 hours and use the National as their entrance exam?

Looks like another reason for these states to use the MLBX
JLWmassage

Postby JaeMarie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:41 pm

I think that they are still trying to get EVERY state to accept NCTM as requirement for their licensing.

Looks like another reason for these states to use the MLBX

As I understand, the NCETMB was not created to be a licensing exam, but was created to show a higher level of knowledge. Some states found it easier to use that exam for licensing instead of creating their own, so we ended up with the situation we have now.

I think over the last couple years or so the NCBTMB has been working to create a new exam to again differentiate those that want to show a higher level of knowledge or experience (since the original exam has become known as more of a licensing exam) but decided that wasn't working, so ditched it and made the changes we see now.

Since the MBLEX (from my understanding) was created to be an entry level licensing exam, it makes sense that it would be utilized as that. That leaves the NCETMB to be an optional exam with higher requirements and harder questions as I believe it was intended to be.
JaeMarie

Postby alwayslearning on Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm planning on taking my test sometime this year or next. I graduated from class in 2006, I think from a 500hr class. Will this mean that I need an additional 250hrs in order to meet the requirements to take the test?
alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Postby jdcan on Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 am

alwayslearning wrote:I'm planning on taking my test sometime this year or next. I graduated from class in 2006, I think from a 500hr class. Will this mean that I need an additional 250hrs in order to meet the requirements to take the test?

http://www.ncbtmb.org/board_certification.php

If you take the exam next year, yes. It's not clear if you can take it before then under the old rules. You may want to call the number at the bottom of the page.
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby alwayslearning on Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you very much! I will. I've spoken to someone from NCETMB but they said I only needed 500hrs. However I was assuming that's because it isn't July 1 yet and the new regs hadn't kicked in. I really appreciate the assistance!
alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Postby oceankayak on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:07 pm

I was just informed by NCBTMB that I will need 250 hours more of schooling to become Board Certified but since my renewal is up in December I am able to let it slide until 2016. I am very upset by this. I have been a massage therapist since 1999, have had my own practice for 11 years and am now being told I need an additional two hundred and fifty hours??? I recently sold my practice and am going to school full time to become a Physician Assistant. I am able to meet the ceu criteria but obtaining that 250 hours on top of the schooling I will be doing over the next four years is impossible. I keep some clients and this is the reason I wanted to remain certified but I guess I will not re-certify. Who comes up with these new changes, anyway? I will be sure to vote against the current president and other officials next session. Shouldn't there be some sort of grandfather clause? I am sure I am not the only massage therapist who has been doing massage for so long and is ouraged by this!!!!
oceankayak
Fresh Hands

Postby JaeMarie on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm

I just received an email from them a couple days ago. Here's a portion of it...

Requirements for the Board Certification Credential:
Requirements for the new Board Certification Credential, launching during the first quarter of 2013 are:

passing the Board Certification Exam (not necessary if your National Certification is active)
750 hours of education (this includes hours from your core program along with CE from an NCBTMB Assigned School, Approved Provider or courses taken from an accredited college or university)
250 hours of documented hands-on massage, actual work experience; 25 hours of volunteer massage may be applied to the 250 hours. Hours must be achieved after graduation and in no less than six months.
passing a national background check
agreeing to uphold NCBTMB’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
maintaining current CPR certification
signing an anti-human trafficking pledge

This reads to me that CEU's count, and potentially "courses taken from an accredited college or university" since I would think that some of what you're already taking to be a PA will relate to anatomy/physiology etc. I'm not aware of a time frame that the CEU's had to be earned in. How many hours have you taken in the last 11 years you've had your practice? I wouldn't panic, but shoot them an email or give them a call and see how much of your current classes qualify towards that 250.

The NCBTMB has spent the last few years looking at creating a new test (higher requirements and showing higher accomplishment?) but after lots of headache, they threw out the idea and have gone to raising the standards for their current certification instead.
JaeMarie

Postby JasonE on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:03 am

oceankayak wrote:I was just informed by NCBTMB that I will need 250 hours more of schooling to become Board Certified but since my renewal is up in December I am able to let it slide until 2016. I am very upset by this. I have been a massage therapist since 1999, have had my own practice for 11 years and am now being told I need an additional two hundred and fifty hours??? I recently sold my practice and am going to school full time to become a Physician Assistant. I am able to meet the ceu criteria but obtaining that 250 hours on top of the schooling I will be doing over the next four years is impossible. I keep some clients and this is the reason I wanted to remain certified but I guess I will not re-certify. Who comes up with these new changes, anyway? I will be sure to vote against the current president and other officials next session. Shouldn't there be some sort of grandfather clause? I am sure I am not the only massage therapist who has been doing massage for so long and is ouraged by this!!!!

I agree with JaeMarie. It is likely that much of your PA schooling could be counted towards the 250 hours. I think it's likely that CE hours you have earned over the past few years are also likely to count towards the 250 hours. Contact the NCBTMB about getting credit for what you have already done and for the schooling you will be doing. You might be happier after that conversation.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby NCLMBT on Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am

I am quite confused and I'm currently waiting for a response from the board. I know that I don't have to keep the certification as it does not affect my state license...but I want to keep it. I think it sounds more professional to say that you are nationally certified and state licensed. I would really like to transition to board certified but there is an issue with my meeting the requirements. My state only requires 500 hours of schooling. I would be up for renewal in February 2014. At that time, my total education hours (including CE credits) will be 548 hours. It would be impossible for me to do another 202 hours before February. Can I not transition because of that? Does anyone know?
NCLMBT
Fresh Hands

Postby jdcan on Thu May 02, 2013 5:47 pm

I think you would need 202 more ceus.
Would you be able to do about 5 ceu hours/wk?
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby pueppi on Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 am

NCLMBT wrote:I am quite confused and I'm currently waiting for a response from the board. I know that I don't have to keep the certification as it does not affect my state license...but I want to keep it. I think it sounds more professional to say that you are nationally certified and state licensed. I would really like to transition to board certified but there is an issue with my meeting the requirements. My state only requires 500 hours of schooling. I would be up for renewal in February 2014. At that time, my total education hours (including CE credits) will be 548 hours. It would be impossible for me to do another 202 hours before February. Can I not transition because of that? Does anyone know?

When you get your response from the board, please let us know what it is, in order to help other folks who may have the same problem.

Additionally, we may be able to help you locate larger CEU hour classes to knock out the hours if you need.

Maybe you could create a brand new thread on that in order to get members to list CEU classes that may be beneficial ... so that part could be contained all in one area.

I am sorry I only have ideas and no answer.
The Massage Toolbox - Ideas, Resources, Tools and Music. ♫ - Or, search the Post Archives. And, visit us on Facebook.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby NCLMBT on Sun May 05, 2013 2:14 pm

The board responded to my email and simply said:
"Yes, you still have time to complete the required hours. You are given a 90 day grace period after your certificate expires to meet any requirements."

If I do decide to keep the certification I will probably use this great deal offered by Institute for Integrative Health Studies. They are offering 50% when you register for 200+ hours. NCBTMB will allow you to take all CE courses online.
http://www.integrative-healthcare.org/promo/ncbtmb/
NCLMBT
Fresh Hands

Return to National Certification