Opinion on NH MT Schools?

Interested in a particular curriculum or just want to find more information about a certain institution. Looking for colleagues from your alma mater? Gather 'round, we've got a place for you.

Moderator: stonegirl

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Opinion on NH MT Schools?

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:05 am

Heading back to massage school get the extra 100 - 150 hours I'll need to meet NH requirements for licensure.

I have an appointment with DoveStar this coming week to go over my transcripts.

But, other choices for me are:

New Hampshire Institute for Therapeutic Arts

North Eastern Institute of Whole Health

Couple of massage programs offered through Community Colleges in NH

Anyone happen to have any feedback on, or experience with, NH massage schools?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Re: Opinion on NH MT Schools?

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:16 pm

After looking over the curriculum catalog (for their upcoming classes they sent me), I'm not sure DoveStar's classroom schedule is going to be able to accommodate mine, so tonight I contacted one of the other schools listed above. I got an email from the Director saying that he didn't feel like expending the energy to look over my transcripts! :shock:

Unbelievable...

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Kindred Spirits wrote:After looking over the curriculum catalog (for their upcoming classes they sent me), I'm not sure DoveStar's classroom schedule is going to be able to accommodate mine, so tonight I contacted one of the other schools listed above. I got an email from the Director saying that he didn't feel like expending the energy to look over my transcripts! :shock:

Unbelievable...
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I wonder why he expended the energy to tell you that??

I guess that's not going to be the school you look further into...what an idiot!
Sharon

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Rose of Sharon wrote:
Kindred Spirits wrote:After looking over the curriculum catalog (for their upcoming classes they sent me), I'm not sure DoveStar's classroom schedule is going to be able to accommodate mine, so tonight I contacted one of the other schools listed above. I got an email from the Director saying that he didn't feel like expending the energy to look over my transcripts! :shock:

Unbelievable...
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: I wonder why he expended the energy to tell you that??

I guess that's not going to be the school you look further into...what an idiot!
:irked: Ditto.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:52 am

On an up-note, it looks like NH did away with the practical exam (with the passing of NCBTMB still being required). And, I can now apply for a temporary massage license. They must have made these changes at the end of last year, Dec maybe. I've been reviewing their website over the past couple of days.

It also looks like I can send in all my info to the state, they look it all over and then inform me what hours I will need...rather than diddling around with the schools initially. This is good news.

I was starting to fall back into resistance mode again after communications with that Director but I am persevering, people! :D

palpable
Registered Member

Post by palpable » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 am

You should write him back and tell him: "That's probably for the best. I don't really feel like expending the energy to write you a check for tuition".

:smt013 :twisted:

Anyway, glad to hear things look like they could be a bit easier for you than trying to figure it out on your own. Perhaps some of your continuing ed. would count?
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:36 am

Unbelievable...
I think I'd be very tempted to forward that on to the owner of the school. Imagine how many potential students that director has sent elsewhere!!
Sharon

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:01 pm

I responded to his letter that evening and told him that I was a little put off by his response, that he obviously was not interested in my business or in me as a student, yadda-yadda-yadda. Respectful, but making my point. He responded with a complete change of attitude. I'm not 100% certain, but I think he may be the owner. I'm going to check into that - thanks.

He explained that the majority of potential students (seeking licensure after having graduated from a non-NH massage school) contact the school, along with a bunch of other schools, without any real intention of following through. Having gone through a similar process with Florida, I can see why therapists moving into NH would possibly make contact without following through. It's still no excuse though, in my opinion. Hopefully, he got the message.

I'm hoping I can use my teaching experience and CEUs toward the required hours. Can't hurt to send it all in and let them comb through it!

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:31 pm

I would still pass on that school, and tell him why. If he didn't bother to inquire into your request before blowing you off, why would you expect the school to be well-run and of high standards? If he is an owner, be doubly wary of attending. The initial impression was rude, uncaring, and unprofessional. Is that the environment you wish to study in?
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:20 am

I hear you, and you'll get no argument from me there! You are absolutely correct regarding his initial impression, and there's no excuse for it. At first, our communications did plant a seed of doubt and resistance to moving forward (waving the white flag of surrender) ....but I was able to respond, clearly expressing my feelings & thoughts, as well as get an explanation - without asking for one - on his perspective. I sensed a bit of back-peddling on his end. A learning experience all-in-all. I like to learn lessons the hard way, I guess. LOL

Moving on and not dwelling! :D

There are plenty of other schools in the area for me to choose from. I am still hoping that someone here has attended a NH school with a good experience to share.

Right now, I'm in the middle of providing mountains of documentation (experience, teaching, CEUs) to the State. I was up till after 2 AM pouring through my files of 10 years and making copies (still not nearly done). I'm hoping that maybe I'll get lucky and they won't send me back for more hours. And, I'm dreading the process of scanning this whole packet so that I can keep a copy for myself! :P But, you know, there's always the possibility of them losing information once it leaves my hands.

mtnlionz
Registered Member

Post by mtnlionz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Kindred Spirits wrote:But, you know, there's always the possibility of them losing information once it leaves my hands.
And the possibility that the postal service can lose it, too! That happened for me. It reappeared from whatever dimension it fell into for a couple of weeks, but I was well prepared with another copy to send to the state board. Happy scanning! Good luck and I hope the board deems you MORE than qualified now to hold a license.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks, Chris! :D

I'm thinking about hand delivering it, but still it's a crap shoot from there.

Sole_Purpose
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Sole_Purpose » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Anyone familiar with Vital Kneads Institute for Massage Therapy in Gilford, NH?

Return to “School & Curriculum Discussion”