Top 10 Current Schools?

Interested in a particular curriculum or just want to find more information about a certain institution. Looking for colleagues from your alma mater? Gather 'round, we've got a place for you.

Moderator: stonegirl

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Top 10 Current Schools?

Post by EgoMagickian » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:23 am

Hey folks,

So now that Heartwood is on hiatus (last I heard, the new owners are pausing enrollment while they seriously upgrade the place! Woot!) and DIHA got bought by Cortiva (boo! hiss!), what are the top places in the US to learn massage?

If a new student on the boards could pick ANY place to study and asked you, where would you recommend?

I'll throw out two:
1. Esalen of course
2. Northwestern HSU (JasonE, your school looks seriously rockin!)

Amy
Registered Member

Post by Amy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:24 am

I am also a graduate of Northwestern HSU, graduated a year ahead of Jason.

Great school indeed.

Blisss
Registered Member

Post by Blisss » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 am

This school wasn't open when I went to massage school, but it's the one I'd choose now:

http://www.ashevillemassageschool.org

The emphasis on self-care is truly impressive, and includes personal yoga training as well as self-care immersion retreats as part of the core curriculum.

akashafive
Registered Member

Post by akashafive » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

I would have to recommend http://www.swedishinstitute.edu in NYC. With 93 years of teaching massage therapy, the quality really shows in their program. I picked them over all the other (very good) schools in and around NY state, and I do not regret it. 8)
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles

JesseLA
Fresh Hands

Re: Top 10 Current Schools?

Post by JesseLA » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 am

California Healing Arts College in Los Angeles

"Massage for Dummies, lists California Healing Arts College as one of the Top Ten Massage Schools in the United States."

I use this on my ads to get clients, works great!

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:55 pm

EgoMagickian wrote:Hey folks,

So now that Heartwood is on hiatus (last I heard, the new owners are pausing enrollment while they seriously upgrade the place! Woot!) and DIHA got bought by Cortiva (boo! hiss!), what are the top places in the US to learn massage?

If a new student on the boards could pick ANY place to study and asked you, where would you recommend?

I'll throw out two:
1. Esalen of course
2. Northwestern HSU (JasonE, your school looks seriously rockin!)
Thanks, Josh! NWHSU was a phenomenal experience, and I really can't say enough about it. Aside from the great curriculum, staff, and facilities, I was also able to enjoy a lot of social interaction with other students. There's a huge library with quiet study rooms to gather in, several comfy lounge areas for casual time, a cafeteria open long hours with a variety of (reasonably) healthy food options to keep spirits up, fitness facilities and classes to have fun exercising together, and a dynamic student senate that does a LOT to make students' lives easier and increase opportunities for professional development and networking. There are also paid student jobs and tutoring opportunities for those who want to get paid for helping others pass their classes. I also really enjoyed being a Student Ambassador, helping answer questions for prospective students and assist with orientation of first-term students... and THAT gig helped me meet the woman I am now madly in love with: my darling Kelly!! :smt007 :smt008

Oh yeah, and I learned a lot about how to massage people. :massage: :altwink:

There are other fine schools, but NWHSU is tops for me! :smt006
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

naturalhealing
Registered Member

Post by naturalhealing » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:22 am

I could highly recommend the school I went to. The Edgar Cayce school in Virginia Beach, plus it's ON the beach!
http://www.edgarcayce.org/health/crsm_index.html
If you have time check out the virtual tour.

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Re:

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:07 am

akashafive wrote:I would have to recommend http://www.swedishinstitute.edu in NYC. With 93 years of teaching massage therapy, the quality really shows in their program. I picked them over all the other (very good) schools in and around NY state, and I do not regret it. 8)
YOu might get booed for that one...Cortiva now owns them too.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:57 am

I'd personally probably pick CORE.
http://www.coreinstitute.com/why.html

I'd love the chance to go through their curriculum, I've heard other educators I respect speak very highly of the school and of Mr. and Mrs. Kouseleos, who founded the school and still are actively involved in the program.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

DRRX2009
Fresh Hands

Re: Re:

Post by DRRX2009 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:39 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:
akashafive wrote:I would have to recommend http://www.swedishinstitute.edu in NYC. With 93 years of teaching massage therapy, the quality really shows in their program. I picked them over all the other (very good) schools in and around NY state, and I do not regret it. 8)
You might get booed for that one...Cortiva now owns them too.

That's not true. Cortiva was LOOKING into buying, but couldn't because of the NY state requirements (1000 hours, plus we get an AOS de) and Cortiva's program isn't as long. SI did get bought by the same company that owns Pacific College (our financial aid goes all the way to San Diego) I checked out Cortiva's website, and neither SI nor Pacific College is mentioned at all. I did get a memo from my school when I first enrolled about some physical ed company...dunno the details.
Just call me X.

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Post by AnastasiaB » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm inordinately fond of the school I attended - SHI School of Integrative Massage [nka SHI School of Massage & Traditional Chinese Acupuncture] in Lebanon, Ohio.

Instructors were tough, demand is for academic and practicum excellence, support from faculty & staff is tremendous, and you get way more than you pay for in terms of preparation for working in the real world, taking the State Medical Board exam for licensure, and, for my $$$$ having a sense of strong preparation for setting up practice on one's own or going to work for another business.
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

ANC
Fresh Hands

Post by ANC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:35 am

http://www.harmonypath.org/school.htm

Here are how some schools compare with State Board passing rates.

Giri
Registered Member

Post by Giri » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:21 am

As a graduate of The Florida School of Massage (http://www.floridaschoolofmassage.com/) in Gainesville Florida I wholeheartedly recommend them for any massage education and continuing education needs. For 35 FSM has provided an incredible, multifaceted educational journey for students. I cannot say enough about the skills and intent of the staff and the scope and depth of the experience.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 am

quinn wrote:I went to California Healing Arts College as well as did an online degree program in business through University of Phoenix.

I can highly recommend doing both, the latter part especially if you want to start your own MT business! :altsmile:
Noticed in three of your posts, you've promoted this "online degree program". Any vested interest there?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

ThatsTheRub
Registered Member

Post by ThatsTheRub » Mon May 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Utah College of Massage Therapy (www.ucmt.com) is an outstanding course.
That's the Rub!
Jim

ThatsTheRubMassage.com
Bloomington, Indiana

Osteotoba

Post by Osteotoba » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:03 pm

This isn't the USA, but my school isn't far from the North Dakota border. I'm biased to my school, partly because of the osteopathy base.

http://wellingtoncollege.com/

Taoist
Registered Member

Post by Taoist » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:08 am

ThatsTheRub wrote:Utah College of Massage Therapy (http://www.ucmt.com) is an outstanding course.
I graduated from UCMT and am very satisfied with the education I got. My only wish is that the clinical internship offered more practice for hands-on skills besides just Swedish and the occasional CST or Shiatsu treatment when people requested it. While you really are only "certified" in basic Swedish massage when you graduate, I learned a hell of a lot more hands-on application AFTER graduation.

I also wish they offered the Master Bodyworker Program at more campuses... Actually scratch that. I decided to check the site before I hit "submit" to double check. I live closer to the Nevada College campus in Las Vegas now than Salt Lake, and they do indeed offer it in LV now! Woo! :altsmile:
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Return to “School & Curriculum Discussion”