wax wrap.. no shower needed

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

mush
Registered Member

wax wrap.. no shower needed

Post by mush » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:15 am

soemone asked me for this and i figured i'd write it out and post it.<br>when i worked in a resort spa, a paraffin wrap was offered in a dry room environment. this is written for the female client. <br><br>room prep:<br>some type of disposable drop cloths to line the floor around/under the table. in the spa, we used 4 sheets to line around the hydraulic tables. <br><br>maybe paper tablecloths or clear plastic drop-cloths from a hardware or paint supply store would do. if you're using a portable table, i would lay a drop cloth underneath as well.<br>wax bath<br>natural bristle brush for dry brushing<br>aromatherapy massage oil<br>viva paper towels - about 18- 20 , separated an stacked near your wax bath<br>warm damp washcloth<br><br>table prep:<br>blanket<br>sheets<br>breast cover <br><br>set up:<br>cover floor<br>set up table if portable<br>layer linens in this order~<br>blanket laid crossways (so the top & bottom lay off each side of table)<br>2 sheets laid crossways, one for the upper body, one for the lower body<br>1 sheet on top laid normally<br>breast towel (to hand client before she gets on the table)<br>** sheets will probably recieve droplets of wax on them**<br><br>how to:<br>this service is performed completely supine~ client starts under top sheet with breast towel under said sheet.<br>part 1~<br>have client hold sheet and breast towel with one arm and help her sit up.<br>dry brush back.  help the client lay back again supine.<br>dry brush arms, hands, sub-clavian area.<br>pull down top sheet to the ASIS to expose abs/obliques  and dry brush them. replace sheet.<br>expose each leg with tight draping, having the client plant the foot onto the table so the leg is flexed.<br>dry brush entire leg,  front and back. do top of foot too. (if client is ticklish do not brush bottom of foot.)<br>ask the client to slightly roll to the side to dry brush glutes.<br>repeat other leg.<br>part 2~<br>using the same sequence of body parts, apply warm aromatherapy oil to the back. while she is still sitting up, dip an individual viva paper towel into the wax bath. as you lift the viva out the the wax, you'll squeeze excess wax off the viva into the bath. open the sheet over the bath, then transfer it to the upper left quadrant of back. do each piece QUICKLY, before the wax cools too much. repeat for upper right quadrant, lower left and right quadrants. lay client down supine.<br>fold down sheet to ASIS area.  apply oil to sub-clavian area. apply 1 or 2 wax dipped viva's. repeat for the abs/obliques.<br>reapply covering sheet with arms exposed. <br>apply oil to one arm, both front and back. apply wax dipped viva's starting at the shoulder area. most individual viva's will wrap around the circumference of the upper and lower arm. you may use 2 or 3 per arm depending on the size of the client.<br>repeat other arm. recover with sheet. take the crossways sheet that is under client and upper half of blanket to 'burrito-wrap' the top half of the body. this helps to keep client and the wax warm.<br>apply oil to entire leg, glute,  foot, both dorsal and plantar surface. repeat wax viva application starting with glutes, upper then lower leg, and foot.<br>repeat other leg. and burrito wrap lower body.<br><br>part 3~<br>wipe hands dry. cover wax bath. <br>scalp and face massage.<br><br>part 4~<br>unfurl wrap linens. using the same supine sequence, remove the now cooled wax viva's from back. with a warm damp (not dripping) washcloth or hand towel, wipe the body areas where you can see excess wax that is remaining on the skin. usually it will be at the edges of where the vivas used to be. recline to supine. <br>repeat for the rest. arms and legs will come off as a tube if you pull it from the top of the shoulder to hands and from glutes to feet.<br>throw away all the wax into trash.<br>finished.<br><br><br>you can incorporate a disposable plastic or mylar sheet to reduce the amount of wax that will adhere to cloth sheets.<br>the key to a successful service is to apply the wax QUICKLY without making a huge mess. <br>be careful of your footwear. you may want to remove them.<br><br>this is just an example of one way to do this. <br><br>edit: in the spa, we used a paper towel product called "wubbies" ~ it's very soft. i suggest plain white viva's, because, imho, are the softest paper towel out there. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005

lecontefairy
Registered Member

Re: wax wrap.. no shower needed

Post by lecontefairy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:23 am

Thanks Mush for taking the time to write all that out, it is very helpful.<br><br>LeContefairy

KaiMT
Registered Member

Post by KaiMT » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks for sharing Mush,<br><br>Just wondering, how long did this treatment take and how much did they charge for it.  Also, was it used as a stand alone treatment with specific essential oils blends for particular results; like detox, stress management etc.?  I would think that a nice citrusy/minty blend added to the mix when sponging the client off at the end would be really nice.

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:16 am

Thanks for sharing Mush,

Just wondering, how long did this treatment take and how much did they charge for it.  Also, was it used as a stand alone treatment with specific essential oils blends for particular results; like detox, stress management etc.?  I would think that a nice citrusy/minty blend added to the mix when sponging the client off at the end would be really nice.
this was a 50 minute treatment for $115 (about 6-7 years ago). i checked their webpage today and they no longer offer the service so i can't tell you what it goes for now.

it was a stand alone service, and the mt's were allowed to choose the aromatic blend. mostly we used lavender for relaxation, probably because most of the clients that chose this were females.
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005

KaiMT
Registered Member

Post by KaiMT » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:20 am

Thanks again Mush

Luthienne
Fresh Hands

Post by Luthienne » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:11 pm

We do almost this same treatment at my spa, and call it the parafin cocoon, except we use pieces of cheesecloth instead of the paper towels. I'm thinking the towels might actually be a bit more cost efficient though.

seekingequanimity
Registered Member

Post by seekingequanimity » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:24 pm

Besides the fact that this treatment sounds yummy, thank you.......

Mush has a very good description about how to apply product(s) to a client's body without having them flip...................

this can be incorportated into a wide variety of body treatments, it cuts down on time applying product to the client, (shorter treatment time, or more time being wrapped, less mess, since the client doesn't have to flip when 50% of their body is covered in some form or goo, and less disruptive to the flow of the treatment, and more relaxing.

Noel

Return to “Spa Techniques”