SteamyWonder Canopy- question on body wraps

Discussion of treatments including, but not limited to: muds, masks, parafango, waxing, hydrotherapy, facials, thallasotherapy, dermabrasion, etc. Popular topics will be given their own forum upon request.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, squash_blsm

SteamyWonder Canopy- question on body wraps

Postby amberf on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm thinking of getting the steamy wonder canopy. i'm wondering if anyone has used it as a substitute for body wraps. if so, i'm just wondering, without the plastic wrap which you'd normally remove after cleaning product off of client, how do you get them cleaned off without them laying back down in the product? how do you do a treatment without it being clumsy and messy?
also, as an add-on for massage, would the client have to lay on that protective sheet for the whole massage? is it comfortable for clients?

Thanks a bunch!!!
amberf
Fresh Hands

Re: SteamyWonder Canopy- question on body wraps

Postby ccMarie on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 am

I don't own a steamy wonder, I did get to experience it as a demonstration in a Spa Therapies weekend workshop at massage school. It wasn't used in place of the wrap, but in conjunction with it. I steamed for about 15 minutes, then was moved to a different table for the wrap. Also this was an herbal wrap, not seaweed or mud. With the herbal wrap, there is no product to remove from the skin.

Also, if I remember correctly, the steamy wonder was a bit like a pup tent (totally enclosed), with the canopy zipping (or velcro) away from the bottom. I'd think if you were using one table, after removing product from the skin, you would have the client stand up, remove the steamy wonder (& if you had your table made up underneath, hopefully it didn't get wet or messy) then the client could get back on the table for massage.

amberf wrote: how do you do a treatment without it being clumsy and messy?

To avoid being clumsy & messy, best to use the steamy wonder as a steam treatment. Do your wraps the way you normally would after the steam canopy. On a different treatment table, if possible.

amberf wrote:is it comfortable for clients?

The main thing to check with clients is whether or not they are claustrophobic, & be prepared to take them out if they feel uncomfortable. Because of the steam, some people feel like they have a hard time breathing, and if they are really tall, be careful their feet aren't being scalded by the steam.
You are not on this planet to produce anything with your body. You are on this planet to produce something with your soul. Your body is simply and merely the tool of your soul.

- Neale Donald Walsh Conversations with God
ccMarie
Registered Member

Postby Jenn@AttunedMotion on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 am

I have worked at a spa where we did body treatments and wraps with the steamy wonder canopies. They can be very easy to set up and clean if you do a little planning ahead of time. I recommend first setting up your table as for a massage. Then layer a waterproof sheet or plastic or mylar (depending on what treatment you are doing!) on top of that. You can then choose to either use sheets or towels for your wet treatment.

For example:
Dry body brushing + foot masque

Layer sheets and blanket, plastic sheet, and then 2 large bathtowels (so these are on top)
Client (draped with towels or small folded sheet) lies on supine on bathtowels, go over body with dry soft boar brushes (you can learn this easy technique by googling "dry brush exfoliation")
Peppermint masque is applied to feet, oil with aromatherapy is applied quickly all over body.
The steamy wonder canopy is placed on top, and we always did a scalp massage while the steam took place (10 - 15 min). I never like to leave my clients alone in case they become uncomfortable, too hot, or possibly has a reaction (nausea, dizziness, etc).
After the steam, remove the canopy, wipe off foot masque and lightly dry off oils and moisture from body with an additional towel. (You can use moist warm towels to remove masque). Then I have the client sit up while I "roll" the plastic sheet out from under their back, have them lie back, and then roll the rest out under their legs.

You can of course alter this routine to best fit your needs! You can do wraps, scrubs, masques, muds, etc!!!
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields
Jenn@AttunedMotion
Registered Member

Postby GreenDragonfly on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Jenn@AttunedMotion wrote:For example:
Dry body brushing + foot masque

Layer sheets and blanket, plastic sheet, and then 2 large bathtowels (so these are on top)
Client (draped with towels or small folded sheet) lies on supine on bathtowels, go over body with dry soft boar brushes (you can learn this easy technique by googling "dry brush exfoliation")
Peppermint masque is applied to feet, oil with aromatherapy is applied quickly all over body.
The steamy wonder canopy is placed on top, and we always did a scalp massage while the steam took place (10 - 15 min). I never like to leave my clients alone in case they become uncomfortable, too hot, or possibly has a reaction (nausea, dizziness, etc).
After the steam, remove the canopy, wipe off foot masque and lightly dry off oils and moisture from body with an additional towel. (You can use moist warm towels to remove masque). Then I have the client sit up while I "roll" the plastic sheet out from under their back, have them lie back, and then roll the rest out under their legs.

You can of course alter this routine to best fit your needs! You can do wraps, scrubs, masques, muds, etc!!!

This sounds really nice. I would love a treatment like that!
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Postby backtobliss on Sat May 07, 2011 2:44 pm

The Steamy Wonder Tent is marvelous. I purchased one and used it in my home massage practice as well as on myself a couple of times. Unfortunately, it was only used a few times and then stored in my closet. My husband and I are moving to Japan in August and I am looking to sell it. I paid approximately $1200 for it; would sell for $800 or best offer. Let me know if interested.

Namaste
Stephanie
backtobliss
Fresh Hands

Postby alwaysenergetic on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello
is the Steamy wonder unit still for sale? I am looking to purchase a gently used steamy wonder system.
thanks
ajita
alwaysenergetic
Fresh Hands

Return to Spa Techniques