To Use Tools or not to Use Tools?

Discussion of reflexology techniques, both generic and modality specific.

Moderator: Dragonflies

To Use Tools or not to Use Tools?

Postby Dragonflies on Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 pm

In my local reflexology association, between us board members, we're often discussing reflexology tools. Most of use have been certified in Father Josef's method and are certified to use his Taiwenese tool. But we're also huge fans of Chris Stormer and her approach using the Gentle Touch or Universal method (aka: South African). <br><br>Personally I find a use for the tools with the really thick-callused heel areas and the hard-to-apply-enough-pressure toe tips (sinuses). However, I would love to see what other people think on a more National level.<br><br>Do you use tools? Have you ever been trained to use tools? Why or why not use them?
============================
Healthy Feet can hear the very heart of Mother Earth. - Sitting Bull
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Re: To Use Tools or not to Use Tools?

Postby hunt_terry on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:15 am

There are cases like those you mentioned, where it is practically impossible to apply the needed presure without tools. So the choice is: use tools or just appply a less then effective pressure.<br><br>My training involved working with tools. I also am trained in sujok, where they use seeds, magnets and tools. Sometimes, you just need to get the right  pressure to the right point. It does not matter how the pressure gets there. <br>
hunt_terry
Fresh Hands

Postby marilyn on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:24 am

I had a session done on me by another reflexologist recently and he used an electrical tool much like jack hammer....well it felt like it, until I told him to PLEASE tone it down. When it was turned down to a soft pounding, it was quite nice, but you know, I will not be using him again.LOL He also had fingernails that were digging in and I guess I wasn't impressed with that as he told me he wasn't planning on cutting them. Oh well. Mental note to self.........client's comfort is first....not mine and I keep my fingernails very short.

I have started using the D.O.V.E. device on the feet after I give a traditional session of reflex. It is a scenar technology from the russian space program, a biofeedback handheld machine that reads the neurostransmitters under the skin and feeds back a dose to boost immunity/balance. The feet really light up the machine because of the vast energy produced there. I am only 2 weeks into this new approach and very excited about it's potential and how the blend of the two will work. I cover all areas of the feet but pay special attention to the target tender areas. It gives a very slight tingling feeling.

I guess from my 2(yes, that's it) sessions on my own feet from reflexologists who inflicted much pain(I didn't seem to receive any benefit from them...certainly not relaxation), I tend to be pretty easy on my clients and try to listen to their needs very closely.

I do have a wooden tool to use on the feet, but as yet, I haven't used it on clients, only myself.
marilyn
Fresh Hands

Re: To Use Tools or not to Use Tools?

Postby Dragonflies on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:23 pm

hunt_terry wrote:My training involved working with tools. I also am trained in sujok, where they use seeds, magnets and tools.

Where did you train for sujok, I've heard of it several times recently and am curious about this therapy. Can you tell us more? Perhaps in a separate thread?
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby Shannon on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:36 pm

I have practioners use a wooden tool on my feet (not callused at all I get regularly pedi's and my soles are soft) plus my feet are very pliable, so should be real easy to work on;it hurted!
I don't like any tool being used on me anywhere on my body, everytime I have had someone use one it hurt like the dickens.( I can handle a very deep DT massage.) But in my experience every practioner I have encountered hasn't a clue as to when to back off with a tool.
Shannon
Registered Member

Postby MassageMaven on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:05 am

I use Thumb-EZ when the client requests more pressure and to do so is more than I can comfortably give.

Now that I think about it, I use that philosophy with all the massge tools I have.
MassageMaven
Registered Member

Postby Dragonflies on Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:58 pm

MassageMaven wrote:I use Thumb-EZ when the client requests more pressure and to do so is more than I can comfortably give.

Do you find you can still give a good reflex session with the thumb-ez? I tried using one and you can't bend the hallux joint to thumb walk. :?
Dragonflies
Site Admin

Postby fudja / aka Greatlakes on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Shannon wrote:I have practioners use a wooden tool on my feet (not callused at all I get regularly pedi's and my soles are soft) plus my feet are very pliable, so should be real easy to work on;it hurted!
I don't like any tool being used on me anywhere on my body, everytime I have had someone use one it hurt like the dickens.( I can handle a very deep DT massage.) But in my experience every practioner I have encountered hasn't a clue as to when to back off with a tool.

Shannon,

Last week I ordered two Accuforce tools from massage warehouse. I have the 2.5 and the 7.0. Both are weighted, so they are easy to adjust the pressure. Need a little?? Use the 2.5 without applying extra presssue. Need more?? Apply some pressure to the 2.5 unit. Need more?? Get out the 7.0. Need more than that?? Apply some pressure to the 7.0. Btwy, each tool number refers to how much each tool weighs. I had my kids try them on me, its amazing how much they feel like a thumb. And that 7.0, WOW!! It is interesting to compare how much pressure I usually give with just my thumbs, fingers, and elbow to these units.
fudja / aka Greatlakes
Registered Member

Return to Reflexology Techniques and Other Thoughts